the obree way training manual 10cm behind bottom bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chippan

by chippan

I have gained access to graeme obrees training manual (the obree way), in this book he explains about pedalling, and in this chapter on page 90 he explains how his saddle tip is 10 cm behind the bottom bracket, am lost on this as thought he always advocated more forward position on the bike.

so my question is how far behind bottom bracket is your saddle tip, i can only get mine 5cm behind with seat fully back am i to far forward, am 5ft 7in tall with inseam of about 30.5 inches and femur slightly longer than tibla.

also is further back postion better.

i must admit i always prefferd postion further back or as far back possibe never liked being forward.

DMF

by DMF

Also Obree has his handlebars in his groin. Ofcourse you can't argue with results, the man is VERY fast. But I don't think you should take fitting advice from him as any general rule of thumb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

chippan wrote:in this book he explains about pedalling, and in this chapter on page 90 he explains how his saddle tip is 10 cm behind the bottom bracket
I seem to recall that in order to achieve that position, the frame he built had a much steeper seat tube angle compared to a traditonal track bike much less standard road geometry.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Irish

by Irish

All my bikes have the saddle 9.5cm behind the bb, they are an Aeron training bike, flanders cx bike, pinarello prince, giant tcr, cervelo p2c and dolan track bike, all achivedcwith standard components so 10cm would be easily doable.

mjduct

by mjduct

How tall was Obree? what is his inseam?

10cm means a big difference between riders who are 6'3" and one who is 5'5"

If you looks at cruisers they are set up that way:

BTW: the flying scotsman was on TV last night, my first time to see it.

bones

by bones

Obviously a mistake. Obree's position did not involve a saddle position 10cm behind the bb. No way.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

bones wrote:Obviously a mistake. Obree's position did not involve a saddle position 10cm behind the bb. No way.

On a standard 73-74 degreee seat tube angle, yeah, doubtful.

roca rule

by roca rule

watching part of the flying scottsman and he wasn't even using the saddle and in his bike at one point he had to cut of the saddle to comply with the uci.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

I think Obree trained with very long cranks and like a 56 tooth ring. That would warrant a 10cm set-back. I am sure his time on the track was with different gear and fit.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

bones

by bones

Roca is right. Obese had to take a hacksaw and actually cut off the nose of his saddle to comply with stupid UCI regulations. So, this 10cm behind the bb thing is just nonsense. Obree's egg position was very, very far forward.

FreaK

by FreaK

it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

FreaK

by FreaK

starting a new thread: "Graeme's Kitchen"
Check out his deraileur tuning credentials.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

chippan

by chippan

if you look at this link you see what mean, if look under saddle postion it says their basically what it says in training manual i must admit am very confused lol

http://dailycycle.co.uk/blogs/articles/ ... aeme-obree

bones

by bones

FreaK wrote:doesn't look quite like 10cm
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... cle-21811/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That isn't the "egg" position bike that made him famous. The topic is whether or not Obree's position had him 10cm behind the BB. So, we are not talking about post-retirement builds like the one just posted. We are talking about the world-record breaking hour bike. And his position on the bike he used for the world record had his seat position very far forward. So, this picture does nothing to support this ludicrous 10cm behind the BB baloney.

roca rule

by roca rule

is that a 16-18 spoke rear wheel. i thought that would not be recomended for guy like him.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com