Question about installing a Press-Fit Headset & fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

hi all, i have a question i'm hoping you can help me on.

when i got my addict R1 frameset, it came with Ritchey WCS Logic Zero Press-Fit Headset (not assembled).

when i tried to install the press-fit onto the frame, it seemed too tight and wouldn't go in right.

so, not sure if i can use some fine sand paper to widen it so the press fit will go in? or should i try to press it in? (which i don't think should be the right answer in case it'll crack the carbon?)

any suggestions?

also, on my fork, shouldn't there be a crown race installed onto the fork? when i had my alum CF fork, there was one that was installed on.

sungod

by sungod

can't help on the specifics of your frame/fork, but headsets and crown races can take a lot of force to fit/remove, if you do not have the correct tools it can be a struggle or risky to try it, you want to keep forces on-axis and evenly applied

unless someone else can give you a definitive answer, i'd contact scott direct and ask them if the frame or forks need any prep before fitting the headset

http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/company/contact/form/

if the crown race is missing, it looks like you can get them separately, for instance...

http://www.google.com/search?q=RITCHEY% ... v&tbm=shop
Last edited by sungod on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

not being familiar with this headset I looked at the Ritchey site. very disappointing level of information there is no help.

my gut feel is that if you should be able to push that in by hand, I too would not want to be hammering on it.

normally the fork would need a "crown race" but since I'm not familiar with the Ritchey design, maybe they do it differently - the tech docs are no help.

if no one here helps there's a Ritchey rep string over on the RBR site. try there. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ritchey/ritchey-rep-here-answer-all-your-questions-210005.html
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Don't modify the frames or the cups. It's best to use a headset / BB bearing press as cups need to go in square.
The fit is tight but they'll go in easily with the right tool. Your LBS will have one.

You should have got a crown race with the headset. Again easy to fit with the right tool.
Attachments
Ritchey.jpg
Ritchey.jpg (4.22 KiB) Viewed 3608 times

addictR1

by addictR1

bikerjulio wrote:not being familiar with this headset I looked at the Ritchey site. very disappointing level of information there is no help.

my gut feel is that if you should be able to push that in by hand, I too would not want to be hammering on it.

normally the fork would need a "crown race" but since I'm not familiar with the Ritchey design, maybe they do it differently - the tech docs are no help.

if no one here helps there's a Ritchey rep string over on the RBR site. try there. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ritchey/ritchey-rep-here-answer-all-your-questions-210005.html

yea i noticed scott's contact form wasn't much help. i had emailed them before and never got a response. :( but thanks for the RBR site.. i'll ask them and see if there's some answer.

thanks to all that responded. at this point, i think it's better for me to buy a complete set than to tool around with these parts. which headset would you recommend that would have all the parts included and very lightweight? :)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Compatible lighter headsets-

KCNC Radiant R2
KCNC Morion M2
Extralite Scalhead
Tune Bubu

BTW a Ritchey crown race is commonly available as a spare part.

Patrickh

by Patrickh

Hi

I have had a scott addict sl with the same headset .

A tip is put the shells in the freezer for about a day . ( tip from a dutch forum )
You stil have to use some pressure but not as much .Normally its not possible to push them in by hand and you will have to use a special tool ?
Instead of that special tool you can also use a threaded rot with some big washers and nuts .Its cheaper than the tool and works just as fine .

And the crown race . I made a cut in them on one side and they went on easy . And i never had a problem with them .

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks for the tip. Trisports didn't send me the crown race.. Boo!!!

Anyway I went to sports basement and bought a crown race and they installed it for me and the press fit onto the frame too. All I paid was $15.. Woohoo. Now the rest I can start putting on tonight after I cut my fork.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Patrickh wrote:And the crown race . I made a cut in them on one side and they went on easy . And i never had a problem with them .

I would not do it this way.

Press fit is the best way.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

Say goodbye to any hope of warranty help if you cut a slot in your crown race.

If you're keen on doing this stuff at home, it's worth your money to buy the correct tools. An Addict is no place for jury-rigging.

addictR1

by addictR1

speedwobbles wrote:Say goodbye to any hope of warranty help if you cut a slot in your crown race.

If you're keen on doing this stuff at home, it's worth your money to buy the correct tools. An Addict is no place for jury-rigging.

yup so I got it done at the LBS instead of 2nd guessing myself. :lol:

BobSantini

by BobSantini

It's pretty easy to install a crown race. They should be a tight interference fit. You can gently sand your fork steerer so that the race falls easily to within about 10 or 12 mm and then drive/press it home from there.
All you need is a piece of PVC pipe (~40 or 50 mm diameter. I dont remember). The pipe just has to be a bit longer than the steerer.
Slip it over the steerer, tip it over and tap it on the floor to drive the race home.
r o y g b i v

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

stella-azzurra wrote:
Patrickh wrote:And the crown race . I made a cut in them on one side and they went on easy . And i never had a problem with them .

I would not do it this way.

Press fit is the best way.

speedwobbles wrote:Say goodbye to any hope of warranty help if you cut a slot in your crown race.

I think you should know that the Tune headsets come with the slot already cut into the crown race.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

addictR1

by addictR1

BobSantini wrote:It's pretty easy to install a crown race. They should be a tight interference fit. You can gently sand your fork steerer so that the race falls easily to within about 10 or 12 mm and then drive/press it home from there.
All you need is a piece of PVC pipe (~40 or 50 mm diameter. I dont remember). The pipe just has to be a bit longer than the steerer.
Slip it over the steerer, tip it over and tap it on the floor to drive the race home.

i think that's what my LBS did too..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ruds

by Ruds

You can press the crown race on with your headset if you have enough spacers. I've done this numerous times now on oversized tapered forks because my old 1 1/8th crown race tool 'pipe' no longer fits. It works (in my opinion) far, far better than hitting a pipe with a hammer to seat it. If you have enough headset spacers you can do it with an uncut fork, if you've already cut the fork, even easier :thumbup: