Best value carbon crankset for 68mm threaded BB?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Porschenut

by Porschenut

Hi guys,

I'm a roadie newbie. Any and all advice is appreciated! My search results are too scattered to determine a good answer to my question.

Anyhow, I'm well on my way to weenism but one of the areas that I want to address is my crankset. I'm currently running a tank of a crankset (Shimano 105) but want to enhance my ride with a carbon set-up. My current frame (2011 Specialized Tarmac Elite SL2) with a threaded bottom bracket isn't very light so it'll get upgraded in a few years. That being the case I want to source a lightweight crankset that I can afford to discard with the frame as my next frame will no doubt have a lighter BB configuration (BB30 etc.)

So...what's the best value/weight crankset out there for my 68mm BB? I haven't deciphered all the various weights yet. The weights I find vary depending on chainrings, with or without BBs etc. and I'm left very confused. I'll be looking for a standard (non-compact) set-up.

Can somebody simply tell me which one to buy? I want to target used if possible. I see many options for SRAM RED, SRAM Force, FSA SL-K and they all seem to be anywhere from $200-$300. Which of the cranks in this range offer the best value?

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I personally liked the FSA SL-K very much. After using that crank, I moved to a Rotor 3d+ using the BSA threaded external cups and I'm much happier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roca rule

by roca rule

out of the cranksets that you have listed red is the stiffest and probably the lightest and gxp is a breeze to set up.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

aaric

by aaric

I'd say the older red gxp is probably the best value currently. I've seen them lightly used around $200 lately, which is pretty hard to beat for the performance.

I admittedly fall into the stiffer at the expense of a little weight camp when it comes to components though.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

+1 more for older sram red. I did the upgrade last year to my Madone/Force groupe and love it.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Porschenut

by Porschenut

Ypsylon wrote:Fairwheel crank shootout.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=7916

Sweet! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks!

roca rule

by roca rule

Except that none of those cranks is 200-300(outside of the dura ace and red)
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

gummee

by gummee

I rode square taper cranks for years after the first adopters went Octalink. I finally upgraded when the newest bestest thing came out and I could get Octalinks used and MAN! what a difference.

...for about 2 rides, then they felt like cranks again.

Since then, I really haven't felt any real differences between my D/A 7700, Red and Force GXP cranks, or my Gossamer BB30 cranks. Which leads to 'how much stiffer than 'stiff enough' do you need?'

M

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Miche do some lightweigth carbon cranks. supertype I think. Maybe worth a look.

Porschenut

by Porschenut

There's a craigslist ad in my local area for the exact same (but lightly used) FSA SL-K Light crankset as reviewed in the Fairwheel shoot-out. The asking price is $200. I think I might buy that. There's also a used (2010 or 2011?) SRAM Force compact for $180. If I go compact, I guess I'll upgrade my cassette as well.

Go for either of these two? Or keep looking for a SRAM Red?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com