zipps newest 202s are they stiff enough for field sprints?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JAX11

by JAX11

I seen some reviews of older model zipp 202s on here having durability problemsand such, How are the new Zipp 202s? are they stiff enough for field sprints at the finish of road races. flat finishes? any problems anyone had with them?

solarider

by solarider

Really stiff wheels. I am 90kgs and can't flex mine (and I have a brand new pair for sale in the classifieds on here!).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

I have a pair of 2010s (i.e. same as current model except rear hub which has been upgraded for 2012) ...

Similar stiffness level to Boras on the rear. Front tests as very stiff by Adrien IIRC.

Durability - haven't had any issues. They've had a couple of hard knocks with no damage.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

doozer

by doozer

Do not, i repeat DO NOT sprint through a field with the 202's. Crops, stones, cattle etc. who knows what will be in there....
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

Phill P

by Phill P

Lance cut through a field once, he did ok.

I wonder if the USADA will investigate his alleged course deviations as well.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

doozer wrote:Do not, i repeat DO NOT sprint through a field with the 202's. Crops, stones, cattle etc. who knows what will be in there....

People have been using them for CX though :beerchug:

fio
in the industry

by fio

I don't mean to redirect the topic, but it might as well be asked: if you're going to be doing field sprints, why not go with a 303FC? They're incredibly durable, and more aero than the 202. Plus, they weigh in nicely at 1198g. Just a thought.

JAX11

by JAX11

fio wrote:I don't mean to redirect the topic, but it might as well be asked: if you're going to be doing field sprints, why not go with a 303FC? They're incredibly durable, and more aero than the 202. Plus, they weigh in nicely at 1198g. Just a thought.

I Like the lower profile wheels and would love to have a set of Zipp 303 firecrest tubulars but heres the problem, Unless i have a set of clinchers and a set of tubulars I will have to readjust the brake cables everytime Im ready to race or if i flat In a race. I keep hearing to fit these things you have to actually redjust the actual brake cable. No time if you flat in a road race. At least with the Zipp 202s I wouldnt have to adjust the actual brake cable between training and racing or flatting in a race other than turning the adjuster and switching pads. 2 sets of zipp 303s are just 2 expensive.

In all serious I keep hearing that sprinting on the zipp 202s the wheel just flexes so much, i dont know how true that is as Ive never rode them but I love the low profile of them at 32mm. I weight 149lb if that helps at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I run a similar setup 303 FC tubies for racing. Deep v 50mm clinchers for training/wheel pit/truck backup.

You can adjust the brakes and cable tensioner so if you go to the narrow wheel, you just flip the lever all the way down, turn the screw 3-4 times, and you have sufficient braking still.

Takes all of 5-10 seconds to do that. It will take longer to find your wheels buried in the truck, wait for it to get dug out, put it back on etc. You can flip the lever and turn the screw while waiting for the truck guys to grab your wheels if you point them out to them.

In a RR, you likely have no chance to get back on anyway and your day is likely over. Wheel trucks won't pace you technically, and unless you can do a 5km 30mph TT solo with any wind/hills, you likely would not be able to bridge a 1/2-1 mile gap. Particularly when you are digging for wheels in the truck, the guys are trying to help, but it is taking like 1 minute to find your wheels and get them on. That is about 1 mile nearly right there. Nonetheless, catching up to the field.

Crit/circuit race if able to get to the pit, and a free lap or two, no problems then.

I pretty much assume my day is over if flatting in a RR. Not like the pros where a guy jumps out, changes your wheels in 10-15 seconds, then you can draft/pace off the cars for 1/4 mile and catch back up, which is still a lot of work.