Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:52 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:16 am 

Here we go again...

Anyone had any issues with the Extralite CyberRear SP creaking?

Mine had a weird stressing/creaking sound on the very first ride, with the bike was in small ring on the front, biggest cassette cog on rear. This only happened when at a standstill and putting gentle pressure on the pedals. When actually going for it up a climb, it was silent.

Next ride, I was getting a click at the bottom of every hard stroke when standing up, in the big ring, across a range of gears on the cassette.

Today, bloody hell... mega creaking in all gears, constantly.

Anyone had any issues like this with Extralite hubs?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:49 am 

Swap the rear wheel to another bike and see if the problem follows the wheel. I assume you have tried different skewers as well?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:53 am 

I have eliminated everything.

It is the hub.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:44 pm 

bummer... mine only creaked on day1 and it was the spokes. Put some free hub oil were the spokes cross and nothing ever from it again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:51 pm 

Hey

The spokes don't cross. This is the SP version. The NDS is straight pull radial, and the DS pass over eachother without touching (like on Shimano Dura Ace C24 wheels)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:49 pm 

Strip and rebuild the internals, maybe something is dry?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:53 pm 

have you tried grease on your skewer. My ac hubs had a creek and this eliminated it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:18 pm 
in the industry

Frequently this kind of creaking comes from machining problems with the bearing seats in the hub shells. To inspect this, take the hub apart and see if the bearings fall out, or can pop out by pulling on them with one of your fingers. If this happens, then reassemble the hub with bearing retaining compound (Loctite makes this) and you should be creak-free, at least for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:55 pm 

^^^Really good post and useful info.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:09 pm 

HermesSport wrote:
Frequently this kind of creaking comes from machining problems with the bearing seats in the hub shells. To inspect this, take the hub apart and see if the bearings fall out, or can pop out by pulling on them with one of your fingers. If this happens, then reassemble the hub with bearing retaining compound (Loctite makes this) and you should be creak-free, at least for a while.

Yeah, I had thought of that, but this is a brand new hub, and I wanted to see what other peoples' experiences were with it, before I start taking it apart to that level. Can totally do that for sure, if it comes to it, however.

Unrelated to this hub, but kind of connected, the Tune Mag170 hubs that ALWAYS creak have been 'cured', for a while, by me (I have done this on several for myself and others) by taking apart, degreasing the whole ratchet mech, and reassembling with correct lube. This noise always happened after a decent amount of riding though, not the very first few times out on it. The bearings on these hubs were always well toleranced into the seats, and never loose...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:53 am 

Update!

The issue has been located and remedied! Hooray!

I emailed Extralite directly about this, who were really really good about it all, and started me going through a series of logical steps to find the problem. Their communications were to the point and also very amusing, as I could feel the sighing in the tone, as the guy explained things which must have been extremely obvious to him, to this idiot (me) who was asking him for help. Haha. Great stuff, and exactly what I would expect from a high end company like this. Enjoyed that a lot.

The issue...

Well, it was actually not really an issue with the hub itself. It seems that in their quest to make the lightest hub ever, Extralite machined the end caps very very sharp and accurate. This means that they are highly sensitive to any less than completely straight and square dropouts. My frame is a Super Six Evo... I think you can guess the rest.

So, *f##k* Cannondale who are unable to make anything straight ever, have made the dropouts out of square. The drive side dropout angles in ever so slightly. This translates to a not perfectly square connection between the dropout and the endcap, which allowed for shifting about under high stress (from my huge KWs).

I put some anti-seize on the dropout face and the creaking vanished. The joy of riding a silent bike no matter how hard you wail on it, is sublime, let me tell you.

I could just leave it there, but I am going to file down the dropout hanger inner face until it is perfectly square. I will also use anti-seize on it too, to make sure.

So there you go, this was not a problem with the hub (although, they might want to consider designing in the facility to deal with non-straight dropouts... nah, everyone else should manufacture up to their standard)

As a result, I can safely say that this hub is the absolute business.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:11 pm 
in the industry

They have thought of that is called anti seize.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:45 pm 

bm0p700f wrote:
They have thought of that is called anti seize.

Erm, what?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:24 pm 
in the industry

They have thought of the problem of non square dropouts and the solution is anti-seize therefore they don't have to redesign there hub.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:27 pm 

bm0p700f wrote:
They have thought of the problem of non square dropouts and the solution is anti-seize therefore they don't have to redesign there hub.

'They'.

Anti-Seize is not a designed solution to non-square dropouts. It is a hack. The only solution to non-square dropouts is to make them square.

I am not sure what the purpose of your post is, as I already mentioned that I am using anti-seize in my latest update...