Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Wed May 04, 2016 10:57 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED

If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:57 pm 

Anyone have experience with Lightweight wheels? thinking of dark clincher Meilenstein or tubular. The weight difference is 80g which amazes me how carbon clinchers can be so light.

It's a heck of a lot of money, but I can get these with a one off discount -30%. The rim is 47.5mm which is a lot more aero than I am use to to, most of the road area where I ride in the UK is generally hilly, short climbs, short descents and sometimes poor road surface. Are these wheels an all rounder? I mean will there be problems for example descending a big alpine climb like Galiblier, Ventoux or Gavia for example when winds pickup. The last thing I want is an unstable wheel at 70+kmph! Would tubulars be better down descents or are the new clinchers just as good! (Clinchers easier to repair flats for starters)

I know there are problems, when a spoke brakes that's the end of the wheel! Or if your in a crit accident a wheel is damaged good buy wheel, but Lightweight do have a replacement program £250 a year to cover accidents etc.

Its a big decision for me, but I'm prepared @good discount to have fun at my age!!! I don't race much anymore, so more of a fun wheel in the summer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:56 pm 

The rim shape is a narrow classic V so not as good tire shape and not as aero as more modern shape 48mm rims. Also, V shape rims get knocked around badly by cross winds. I had 50mm rims of a similar shape and ditched them for 38 & 50mm modern shape rims. The rest of the wheel construction and the weight are impressive but I can't imagine riding that rim shape given what else is available today.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:20 pm 

U shape is more aero than v-shape only in cycling industry ;) in all other aeronautic fields it is rather opposite.

Astana, IAM Cycling and few other teams do not have any issues with "non -aero" rim shapes as you do ;)

It doesn't mean I think that LW are good wheels. Are better wheelset options. And cheaper. And serviceable. And really true, not "kind of true" . But if you need "wow" on this forum ... it must be LW :mrgreen:

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Last edited by stormur on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:22 pm 

tubulars are better than clinchers for safety/weight

the v profile is ok until winds get strong, main issue is that it's twitchy as yaw angle changes

up to around 30km/h no issue, as wind picks up you need to be more careful, i've ridden my obermayers at far higher wind speeds, but when it gets gusty over 50-60km/h, or a twisty exposed descent, it's not so much fun

i'm not sure where the limit is for more modern rim profiles, rider weight/handling skills make a difference too

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:06 pm 

Buy with smile and pray for no issue.
i find a issue in my Obies, is not a good feeling. LW repair free of charge - add a extra braketrack (increase weight ), like some wheels for sales at 'certified pre-owned'. i was buy a used LW clincher from a friend, but with inspection i identify a small crack at rim+spoke junction and abort the purchase because i dont want send other wheel to germany for repair (maybe isnt a headache for you in europe). They are reviewed as robust, but...
I suffer on cross wind but i'm 46kg.
I think tubular is the best option for mountains. Now i bought Bora and use LW only for specials rides and pics on scale

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:59 pm 

i had the gen III for awhile. cracked them on a downhill pothole that i didn't see. got a newer version but haven't really used them much...only on certain days. same roads...i ride on Enve SES wheels. hit similar potholes with no issues. rode the LW on a different bike that what i'm riding now...not that it'll make that much of a difference.

only the front wheel cracked, but CarbonSports asked me to ship both wheels back. verdict was to replace both under crash replacement.

- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:13 pm 

I spoke to a friend who has a pair of second hand Meilensteins 3 years old, he brought about 6 months ago. He told me today, he was in Majorca 2 weeks back and the winds we picking up and felt very uncomfortable on them descending, he was actually quiet scared going about 60kmph. So I think I might given them a miss because of this issue. I'll probably go for Bora Ultra 35's. He did say that they are a fantastic climbing wheel and on the flat or in a sprint they are electric, he also said the brake surface was great in the dry and very good in the wet to his surprise....I need to sit down and have a serious think and weigh up my options, need to be sensible!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:44 am 

Ultra 35 is the Best option.
LW is for show. Mine is Bora One and i liked so much that i put LW in 'stand by'
If money is no problem... buy the two wheels, because if you want a Lambo and buy a Ferrari, you'll keep dreaming about have a Lambo.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:11 pm 

Bora Ultras just seem reliable and with their new 3D Diamond brake surface gives me confidence with the clincher. I mean Campy were the last of the big companies to bring our carbon clinchers, their tests are vigorous, that's no secret. Not saying that LW don't test either, after all their German precision reputation is I'm sure 2nd to none. And if my friend says LW's are "electric" they are, he's a straight up person. It's just the cost of the LW's, the V shape for crosswinds are an issue for me. I want to be safe, I always try to ride with a Low Profile wheels in the mountains, weather can change in minutes, bombing down the Tourmalet with high winds which I've done, is pointless with High Profile rims. Its like steering a 1950's cars around sharp bends!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:13 pm 

I use Gipfelsturm up front when it's windy. I am a lighter rider and get blown around on anything hi-pro... U or V doesn't make that much diff to me. I wouldn't buy carb clinchers but again, that's just me:-)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:54 pm 

Why won't LW just accept it's not 2008 anymore and update the rim profile?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:39 am 

Money?? I should imagine LW would have to do a comprehensive retool. That's major for even a large concern. Plus...there is still demand for their gear? My LWs are 1 of a few wheelsets I am fortunate enough to have. There are others more practical (affordable) but LWs ride like nothing else. IMO...regardless of rim width/profile:-)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:10 am 

Fair enough if you like them. They look epic and that is what a lot of it boils down to but personally I cannot get past paying such a huge premium for a product that is objectively slower and hugely less practical than alternatives costing fractions of the price.
I guess at some point it turns in to an argument like having a nice watch given everyone has a phone that tells the time more accurately anyway, it's bike jewelry.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 pm 

Kinda preachin to the choir here:-) When did objectivity/praticality become a consideration for those w/the disposable income to pay stratospheric prices for exotic bicycle components? Tho cost isn't dissimilar, this is about bicycle wheels anyway...not artificial heart valves:-) LWs are clearly not for everyone. But...their innovative design was so far ahead of the game that they're still in the mix. Living on borrowed time maybe:-)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:52 pm 

Here's a good link explaining the reason behind LW's V shaped rather following the trend of Enve's etc

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/2015/12/1 ... ls-review/

though I do think the V shape is not as stable as the new U shape wheels in crosswinds.