HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 pm
Posts: 881
Location: London
After the chainstay rusted through on my old commuter, I'm considering getting a Canyon Inflite 9s. The spec is amazing for the price, with Full Ultegra 11s + hydro disks. But I'm a bit worried about the DT Swiss wheels.

I used to ride a set of RR1450s with 240 hubs, and the freehub body was made out of butter. They were by far the worst I have ever used with respect to the cogs gouging.

Does the same problem still exist with DT 11s?

I ended up using Sram 1090 cassettes on my best bike, but an 1190 is £200 which seems a little excessive for a commuter/trainer.

Can you still get AC clips? (in the UK) Do they come for 11 speed?

_________________
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:22 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 pm
Posts: 1988
Just use some thin piano (or similar) wire.

I've heard of flattened out staples being used in the past


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:51 pm
Posts: 6
MattSoutherden wrote:
After the chainstay rusted through on my old commuter, I'm considering getting a Canyon Inflite 9s. The spec is amazing for the price, with Full Ultegra 11s + hydro disks. But I'm a bit worried about the DT Swiss wheels.

I used to ride a set of RR1450s with 240 hubs, and the freehub body was made out of butter. They were by far the worst I have ever used with respect to the cogs gouging.

Does the same problem still exist with DT 11s?


i understand all of the above - forgive my stupidity - but i was looking for thoughts and reviews re: dtswiss wheel sets and i found this thread -
but i don't really understand the last parts of these posts


MattSoutherden wrote:
I ended up using Sram 1090 cassettes on my best bike, but an 1190 is £200 which seems a little excessive for a commuter/trainer.

Can you still get AC clips? (in the UK) Do they come for 11 speed?


no idea how this relates to the initial part : (

mattr wrote:
Just use some thin piano (or similar) wire.

I've heard of flattened out staples being used in the past


or how this is a solution to the above.

would greatly appreciate an explanation


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 pm
Posts: 1988
Cassettes with individual sprockets can cut through aluminium freehub bodies during normal use. Hope, dt swiss and American classic (AC) are better known for this.
Using cassettes with an aluminium spider (dura ace, sram 1090 etc) spreads the load and minimises or eliminates gouging.
ACs solution was to use steel reinforcement on the freehub to prevent gouging, they were available aftermarket and could be fitted to many other brands hubs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:51 pm
Posts: 6
mattr wrote:
Cassettes with individual sprockets can cut through aluminium freehub bodies during normal use. Hope, dt swiss and American classic (AC) are better known for this.
Using cassettes with an aluminium spider (dura ace, sram 1090 etc) spreads the load and minimises or eliminates gouging.
ACs solution was to use steel reinforcement on the freehub to prevent gouging, they were available aftermarket and could be fitted to many other brands hubs.


thanks for the explanation. I had heard of this issue before, just not described the way OP did.

Would it not be cheaper to use a lower series cassette and replace the freehub?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 pm
Posts: 1988
Not really, lower series cassettes are heavy. Can actually cut right through the splines given long enough.
Makes them an utter sod to remove.
Some freehubs run to $100+ as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 pm
Posts: 881
Location: London
mattr - thanks. :)

jeffy - DT freehubs are about £55. I can chew one up such that the shifting goes off in a couple of months. I'm 77Kg, and most of my training is on my commute, and as such generally revolves around short hill repeats (which is hi torque on the drivetrain)

_________________
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:57 am 
Offline
in the industry

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1434
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Novatec do freehubs with a steel spline, Miche freehubs don't gouge and they are alloy, Shimano DA, Royce and White Indutries use Ti freehubs which don't gouge. The best solution is to use a campagnolo freehub as the splines are deeper.

Some rider even ones that put out watts don't gauge alloy freehubs and yet some do. QC cannot be that variable so the only other variable is the rider.

So your best solution if gouging is a issue for you is to use a different hub as one DT Swiss freehub is much like another.

_________________
www.thecycleclinic.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 pm
Posts: 1988
Depends on the grade of aluminium doesn't it.
The harder grades, that don't gouge are also harder (and more expensive) to machine.

There is also the variability in the height of the spline (either tolerances, or by design) i know that some wheels i have, you have to be *really* precise when lining the cassette up, as a fraction off means they either won't go on, or will jam up half way down the body, and need a wiggle to free up. So you are spreading the load over the full face of both halves of the spline.
Others you just throw the cassette on as there's loads of clearance.

The worst one i've seen there was very nearly enough slop in the system that the sprockets could be moved far enough off centre that the spline would fail to engage (a steel DT freehub for what it's worth). Not actually ever an issue in use, as once it's all tightened up and snugged down, it worked fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:00 am 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. DT Swiss RC 55 SPLINE C Carbon Clincher

in Road

TomazK82

0

320

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:15 pm

TomazK82 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. DT Swiss X 1900 Spline OR Mavic Crossride Disc 29er?

in MTB

resistro

1

327

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:50 pm

TheRookie View the latest post


It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB