Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sat May 07, 2016 1:58 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED

If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Vision Metron 40
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:01 pm 

Just got a new set of black Metron 40 campy clinchers

Actual weight 1,560 grams (700 front, 860 rear) w/o skewers

Decals on dark version are subdued and also very easy to remove if you are so inclined

Shipping time via Starbike: received them 7 days after ordering, no problems with customs clearance, delivery USPS to residential west coast US address.

Got them for right around US $1,200 delivery included. Was initially shopping for Enve or Zipp (couldn't justify paying two to three times more) or Campy Bora Ultra (price plus major production backlog due to labor issues). Looking forward to trying out the Metrons- the reports I've read and heard are very promising.

Post subject: Re: Vision Metron 40
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:03 am 

That's a nice looking wheel. FSA is certainly investing in their products. Looking forward to review.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:12 pm 

Wow, heavy. Must be Gigantex rims. Anything special about the hubs?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:54 pm 

Looking to get either 40 or 55. I heard that the bearings are ceramic but the sites are putting as stainless steel. Any clues to which is correct?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:29 pm 

F45 wrote:

Yes, very special : it won't be recalled :mrgreen:

I assume you work for Zipp or Enve :mrgreen: and remind me please same profile Zipp wheelset weight ? ;)

Vision ( except "team" products ; these should be avoided like a disease ) make really nice wheels recently. Basically only Vision which I had were really true straight from factory with most even tension, and I never had any need to true them after while. Such thing didn't happened to any other factory wheels I owned.

It's really weird ( or so heavy sponsored ) that this forum "sees" only Zipp & Enve, isn't it ? There's so many nice wheels on the market ... Like Vision, Corima, Ursus, DT, HED.... nope, Zipp for everyone , and Conti GP400s2 :mrgreen:

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Last edited by stormur on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:52 pm 

stormur wrote:
F45 wrote:

I assume you work for Zipp or Enve :mrgreen: and remind me please same profile Zipp wheelset weight ? ;)

Vision ( except "team" products ; these should be avoided like a disease ) make really nice wheels recently. Basically only Vision which I had were really true straight from factory with most even tension, and I never had any need to true them after while. Such thing didn't happened to any other factory wheels I owned.

It's really weird ( or so heavy sponsored ) that this forum "sees" only Zipp & Enve, isn't it ? There's so many nice wheels on the market ... Like Vision, Corima, Ursus, DT, HED.... nope, Zipp for everyone , and Conti GP400s2 :mrgreen:

You really think Zipp isn't criticised on this forum???

ENVEs are overpriced in Europe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:51 am 

Zipp is criticised, and most often recommended regardless its poor value for the money and constant quality issues.

Enve is overpriced everywhere ;) 1300€ can buy you really high end wheelset used in ProTour (if that matters to someone...). And basically anything will be better than Zipp.

BTW I have always doubts about cycling components pricing ... when I look at wheelset and Piaggio scooter, and wheelset, and Piaggio.... same price .... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:31 pm 

Why do so many "wheel" companies still use a radial NDS spoke setup...gheez...even Zipp doesn't do that anymore.

Anyway, Zipp rims are great, as well as the CXRay spokes, their hubs have been the sore point and lacing/tensioning.

Enve, yes, way overpriced. Buy used I guess? $1800 for just the rims, then spokes with my own hubs would have run me $2100 from a builder...I know, Enve are bomb proof and they will warranty them 5yrs...crash and all. For that price..they should.

Anyway, not sure why Metron weights are so high. Those weights for the 40 are around Zipp 404, Enve 6.7 SES, HeD, Bont Aeolus, Boyd 60mm, November Rail 52mm, FLO 62mm rims etc..all being 10-15mm deeper for the same weights??

I know, aero trumps weight always except only in the most extreme climbs...but for that weight, would love more "Aero".

Price is descent though. Have fun on them!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:30 am 

It's clincher with 25.5mm rim width - what you expect ? ow weight ? - go tubular. 300g down, immediately.

For small weight penalty you have wheelset which A. will last B. Will be stable and stiff C. Won't be recalled D. you can have 2 wheelsets instead of 1 ( Enve price )...

I would never ever put HED, Bontrager, Vision on same shelve with Boyd or FLO... not the same league. Farsports and Boyd/ FLO - that fits.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:26 pm 

They look nice, and I'd happily ride Vision wheels, though can't see what they offer over Boras, and they re heavier