super lightweight aluminium wheelset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

does that even exist? i checked the listing and most shows CF wheels. isn't aluminium wheelset also capable of lightweight? if so, which ones are they?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Depends on your definition of light......you can easily build Stan's Alpha 340s into 1,000-1,200 gram wheels. See American Classic Tubeless wheelset, Extralite Hyperclinch or Stan's factory pro build. The best way would be to go Alpha 340, Sapim CX-Ray and Tune or similar light hubset in a 20/24 spoke configuration (if you weigh 150 or less).

addictR1

by addictR1

btompkins0112 wrote:Depends on your definition of light......you can easily build Stan's Alpha 340s into 1,000-1,200 gram wheels. See American Classic Tubeless wheelset, Extralite Hyperclinch or Stan's factory pro build. The best way would be to go Alpha 340, Sapim CX-Ray and Tune or similar light hubset in a 20/24 spoke configuration (if you weigh 150 or less).

well currently i have some custom made velocity aeroheads from a company called oddsandendos (mike garcia) out of florida. but since then he's been gone out of biz.

while these rides nicely.. but i weight it with my cassette and it was 6lbs for both wheels (tires fully pumped included) without skewers. :shock:

so, trying to find something lightweight without breaking the bank.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Well, I guess this really depends on what you consider to be breaking the bank. You could go with the Stans 340 laced to Extralite SX hubs. That would be about a 1120 gram build. If you wanted to save a few bucks though, you could always lace that same rim to the White Industries H2/H3 Hubset. This would be more in the 1300 gram range but most of the weight would be in the hubs so the wheelset would still feel very reactive and light.

ergott

by ergott

Not sure how much you weigh, but ultralight alloy wheels aren't for everybody. They aren't particularly stiff. Another point to consider is that the Alpha rims have a thinner brake track and will not last as long as other alloy rims. These are the tradeoffs for the weight loss.

This is why you see carbon discussed for ultimate weight loss without the drawbacks. Gotta pay to play;-)

I would reflect on what your ultimate goal for getting these light alloy wheels is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

There are many, many threads already on this.

Please, pop a search in for one :)