Cannondale Evo Ultimate Frame 56cm weighed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CBRE

by CBRE

Nice, my 52cm Evo Red model was 805g w/bb, the clearcoat must add the weight even for the much smaller frame, cut fork was 290g.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

artray

by artray

Cannondale have great big ads saying the frame weighs 695 grms . we still have not seen one yet .
I think if you claim to have a frame that weighs 695grms and you get one that weighs 800grms then you will feel let down . Cannondale should say what the exact weight is the way you buy it ,not a naked 54cm frame , Its not being honest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

2011 wrote:They fudged the truth on the actual weight of the EVO frame. It makes you wonder about all the other claims, like being the most aero, stiffest, fastest, blah blah blah, frameset. They know that we could not really test any of those other things, so companies can say whatever the hell they want and people just eat it all up.

Cannondale didn't fudge anything. It was all from Tour Magazine testing. It was their testing protocols. Not Cannondale. Can't get much more 3rd party than that. You might have an issue with Tour's testing, but that is another issue. http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/ro ... o-ultimate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Evo Ultimate is a nice frame. Just wish they would sell it as frameset only (as I am sure many would). Still have my SS HM at 930g frame and 332g fork uncut. So really I am heavier by around 200g or so. Would be nice to upgrade to the Evo Ultimate frameset for me.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

wingguy

by wingguy

53x12 wrote:Cannondale didn't fudge anything. It was all from Tour Magazine testing. It was their testing protocols. Not Cannondale. Can't get much more 3rd party than that.

Cannondale did fudge when they splashed that number in huge font over the front page of their site and in all their press material, asterisk or no asterisk. Cannondale know exactly how much a given SupersixEvo weighs, they own the frames and they own scales. If they're using the number from an imaginary 'normalized' frame instead of a real one it's because the imaginary frame weighs less than the ones they actually build.

I've probably got more respect for the PR departments who flat out lie* than the ones who kinda sorta lie but not really because someone else said it first and we're not talking about a real bike anyway.

* But then I've always had a soft spot for the Italians :P

(And I do think it's a nice bike - I almost bought one)

53x12

by 53x12

"Cannondale did fudge when they splashed that number in huge font over the front page of their site and in all their press material, asterisk or no asterisk. Cannondale know exactly how much a given SupersixEvo weighs, they own the frames and they own scales. If they're using the number from an imaginary 'normalized' frame instead of a real one it's because the imaginary frame weighs less than the ones they actually build."

735g for a 56cm is not bad. I bet the 48/50cm would come in at 695g. NOt sure why you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

You could see how Tour does their own testing protocols here: http://tour-qtr.com
starts @ 2:26
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

maquisard

by maquisard

Any pics of an R5 Ca 56cm on the scales? This obviously being the direct ( although more expensive ) competitor to the EVO.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I haven't really seen any R5 CA's on scales aside from the Asian guy with the 660 gram 48 cm one. But
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=89021&hilit=r5ca+grams&start=15
802 grams for a 58 cm with bearings, seatpost clamp, and derailleur hanger. That's as close as a comparison with like parts installed as I could find with this Evo Ultimate

leosantos

by leosantos

did you weight the whole bike, or at least all components since apperantly you never built the stock bike? I saw one in a shop, also 56, and the guy there said it weighted 5,5kg (12,1 lbs). BTW, Ive seem many people complaining about the heavy paint on the blk/wte evo, and I complained about mine as well, but after riding it for a while now, Im quite happy, since it appears to be sooo scratch resistant! I had a white caad9 and it had many more scratches from road debris, on the evo I still cant find any. wondering if the ultimate with its superlight paint will be so resistant as well, would be a shame to see such a nice frame with spots after a couple of rides only..

53x12

by 53x12

"The weight was arrived at via Tour magazine test standards and the testing was provided by an independent, third party, Zedler Fahrradtechnik. Zedler normalizes frame weights by truly comparing apples to apples. If a bicycle doesn’t have a front derailleur clamp or rear derailleur hanger, they add weight to account for that. If a frame uses an integrated headset, they deduct weight for that. They add weight for a sloping top tube, and so on. The SuperSix EVO is the lightest frame Zedler has ever tested. Pretty cool, but let’s face it, a great many ultra-light frames aren’t all that stiff."

http://www.pelotonmagazine.com/Goods/co ... perSix-EVO

Edit: Should note that this article mentions the Ultimate comes in at 727g as well as this article:

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Bike-Test ... e-EVO.html
Last edited by 53x12 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

BB30 clips, bearings, dust cover, every spacer and wavy washer, if SRAM specs 51gms.

RD hanger about 10gms.

I want to say Liquigas Evos with special lightweight paint job is in the 720gm range I thought I read recently, or thereabouts.

by 2011

leosantos wrote: Ive seem many people complaining about the heavy paint on the blk/wte evo, and I complained about mine as well...

Hahaha. I just picture some guy walking into the shop where he bought it, yelling "I don't like this heavy paint on my bike! It's REALLY slowing me down and making not as fast!"

Anyway... On Cannondales site... they show a graph of the frame weight being the lightest, but yet is only 1g lighter than the Cervelo r5 CA. In the real world, all of the documentation of frame weight (only seen 54 and 54) have actually been drastically lighter than the EVO. So yes... the information is fudged on their site, in their favor. That's okay though, because ALL manufactures do it, and can say whatever the hell they want.

leosantos

by leosantos

2011 wrote:
leosantos wrote: Ive seem many people complaining about the heavy paint on the blk/wte evo, and I complained about mine as well...

Hahaha. I just picture some guy walking into the shop where he bought it, yelling "I don't like this heavy paint on my bike! It's REALLY slowing me down and making not as fast!"

good, I can see you got the point!! :beerchug:

timzcat

by timzcat

leosantos wrote:did you weight the whole bike, or at least all components since apperantly you never built the stock bike? I saw one in a shop, also 56, and the guy there said it weighted 5,5kg (12,1 lbs). BTW, Ive seem many people complaining about the heavy paint on the blk/wte evo, and I complained about mine as well, but after riding it for a while now, Im quite happy, since it appears to be sooo scratch resistant! I had a white caad9 and it had many more scratches from road debris, on the evo I still cant find any. wondering if the ultimate with its superlight paint will be so resistant as well, would be a shame to see such a nice frame with spots after a couple of rides only..

if you are asking me, no. I disassembled the bike that was pretty much built out of the box. With my Dura-ace C24 wheels instead of the tubulars I should come in around 13 lbs. There is a pound difference between the wheelsets so that agrees with your numbers at 12.1lbs.

timzcat

by timzcat

It appears the BB is the same as I have here in hand only difference is the updated bearing shields.
So without bearing shield I get 70g on the scale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leosantos

by leosantos

yep, was asking you, tks! my trainning wheels are also the DA c24, very good and should look great on the ultimate, as they do on my matte black caad10. I PM'd you about the tubulars, I have a pair on my non ultimate evo and love them!

oh, and Ive seen the pressfit BB at 75 grams posted in this forum, but it wasnt the ceramic version.. yours should indeed be 70 gr pretty much!