Pro Mark Cavendish Star Series Bar & Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JohnnySea

by JohnnySea

Anyone tried them yet?

http://www.pro-bikegear.com/publish/con ... edish.html

Claimed weights:

Bar 295g
Stem 170g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gn1tmac

by gn1tmac

i just ordered the stem from wiggle. I will take some pics when it arrives

by 11.4

Yes. Very stiff, very expensive. I believe the Cavendish Vibe stem weighed out exactly the same as a Thomson X4, but at more than twice the cost and without a proven history. There are similar good alternatives to the bars as well. The bolts on the stem tended to get a few rust spots with perspiration. Nice finish, nice stem and bars overall. The bars are relatively heavy, comparable to the equally stiff Zipp SLC2 or Easton TKO. All in all, nice but a rather hefty price that isn't obviously justified (except that Cavendish presumably gets a part of it).

I've seen them for a lot less than MSRP. Also, if you are really seeking stiff, check out the Theo Bos bar and stem (or at least the stem if you don't want a track bend). Those are extremely stiff, also from Pro/Shimano, and the components are interchangeable.

spaak

by spaak

I just received mine:

Pro Vibe Sprint Stem - Cavendish Star Series
Length: 120mm
Angle: 10degr
Weight: "from 170 degr"
Measured weight: 220gr (where face plate: 48gr, top cap: 11gr)
Stack height: 4cm
Handlebar clamp: 31.8mm
Circumference: from 15cm till 18cm (for computer mounts)

Any way you look at it: it's big 8) Weighs a ton but the looks are stunning. Because of the 'integrated' top cap, you can't flip-flop it, which is a bit unfortunate because the 10 degr angle makes the stem point a little upwards -- i prefer one that is level to the ground. A thing to keep in mind if you want to mount a computer/garmin on it, is it's 16cm circumference (measured in the middle).

To make a comparison with a 120mm Syntace F99 (a bit unfair, the F99 has a 26.0 mm handlebar clamp):

Last edited by spaak on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

KWalker

by KWalker

God damn Pro is going to make a killing off of people that think they can actually sprint as much as pro tour riders and are willing to shell out the extra 100 bucks for a stem. It looks nice to be fair.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

racermech

by racermech

I want it!!! Pro can make the extra money off me, for some reason I just want this combo. Havent raced in a year and I doubt I would really see any benefit but damn I want this....lol

JohnnySea

by JohnnySea

It's certainly not the sort of thing you want on your bike if weight is your only priority but I'm interested in stiffness and from what I can tell, short of the Easton TKO track bar these bars are the stiffest you can get so there are a pair going on my bike.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised at how cheap the bars are and how expensive the stem is.

KWalker

by KWalker

Well the bars are just the regular Pro alloys with a few ridges. The stem seems much more complex to make. Its a shame it weighs so much because I quite like the looks.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

spaak

by spaak

I think the price has not much to do with Cavendish' branding, but rather with the "made from carbon" marketing. The Pro Vibe Sprint has a carbon body, and it is similarly priced (if not cheaper, you can find it for 190 USD) as other bulky carbon stems like Deda Forza, 3T ARX Ltd, Bontrager Race XXX Lite, ZIPP SL 145, and Pro Vibe Track.

More pictures of the stem are shown here:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... mbia-26858

Wizzo

by Wizzo

105mm the minimum length?! I need a 90! :roll: Those bars look great (probably feel awesome). Might snatch me one.

spaak

by spaak

Don't now about the bars, other than that it weighs "from 295g". Does it have the same 79mm reach as the PRO Vibe 7S OS Anatomic? The one pictured above is a Deda Zero 100 (75mm reach, 128mm drop, 242g).

aham23

by aham23

the stem certainly is sweet looking.

centaur4608

by centaur4608

Hello, i would like to buy the stem & bars combo. Any ride review ? For the moment i ride with a Thomson X2 in 120 mm but it's a little bit too light for my weight ...

maddog 2

by maddog 2

may be an optical illusion due to the stickers but it looks less than 10 deg on the pics

dweebly

by dweebly

agreed looks are spot on for me. i was considering it a a 135mm stiff stem is pretty rare, however if the weights really are that far out i might just hold fire - quarter of a kilo for a stem is probably full of lead to make sure cavs bike stays at 7kg....
Common sense - Big fan.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com