Jamis Icon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Beginning my search for my 2015 crit bike and hoping for input. I know Jamis isnt a highly popular brand in the high end racing world, but this frame has gotten high remarks in the few reviews I've seen.

Came across a good deal at an LBS for a Jamis Icon frameset, and have 2 options:

2014 Icon Pro frameset (frame, fork, headset, seat collar etc)

or for $200 more a 2015 Icon Elite frameset (same parts included)

According to Jamis they both use the exact same frame (different paint scheme) and full carbon fork, however the Elite uses a different grade carbon and different layup to "slightly" reduce weight and increase stiffness.

Other options are the usual CAAD 10 and Allez e5 smartweld. Im leaning towards the Jamis based on the fact that its more of an unknown brand,and I like having bikes not everyone else has, and we know which brands those are.

So does anyone have any first hand experiences with this specific frame, if so what other bikes can you compare it to.

Link in case anyone wants a peek at it
http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applicatio ... grp=road_2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

HOw much lower would it cost than a CAAD10 ?

I like the general look and numbers of the Icon Elite, but IMO, to choose it over the CAAD (or Allez smartweld) for racing it would have to be a heck of a deal.

Louis :)

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

well I guess I should have mentioned a few other notes:

Race teams sponsor shop does the whole Specialized Grassroots sponsorship deal 30ish% off and also a Giant Dealer that would do 20% off a TCR SLR but wont part out for just a frameset (i dont need a complete bike and dont want to deal with selling the extra parts)

I know a guy who's family owns a Cannondale dealer so waiting to hear from him about what kind of deal he would give me on a CAAD10

AND the Icon Pro frame can be had for $600, so $800 for the Elite

It's just that so many people have CAADs and Allezs so thats the appeal of the Jamis to me.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Jamis is a great company.
However the Icon is just double butted kenesis aluminum. Probably heavy and rough. Hope the fork is top of the line and make sure you have a good carbon post. If yes then it should whip around in circles just fine.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

GT56

by GT56

rear brake under bracket, thumbs down

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

@hasbeen

Frame weight is a claimed 1150g unpainted in a 56

@GT you are thinking of the Xenith, the top of the line carbon bike, if you looked at the link provided you would notice it is a standard seatstay mounted rear brake

jeffsavans

by jeffsavans

I have an Icon Elite as a training bike. It is a fast, yet very smooth ride (compared to my Bianchi Sempre race bike). I will always choose my Bianchi over the Jamis for race day but if something happened I wouldn't mind racing the Jamis. I haven't had a chance to ride the Icon Pro for more than just a test ride after building it up but it felt very similar. All that being said I would go with the Jamis over the Cannondale as I'm not a big fan of having the same bike as 50% of the people I'm racing against. It's not slower than the CAAD 10 although others will probably argue otherwise.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

jeff thanks for the input. would you mind sharing a bit more about your bike? is it bone stock or custom tailored? what about the size and weight? have a pic?

I too am favoring the Icon for the fact that it is no where near as popular as the CAAD or Allez. I also have a much nicer carbon bike but after racing it my first season I dont know how much longer I want to risk taking a spill and being S.O.L. especially in crits. Seeing that I do not work at a shop anymore it would now be A LOT more money to replace pieces of my BH.

jeffsavans

by jeffsavans

I was looking for a training bike earlier this year and Jamis has awesome EPs. I also went with the Icon because it came with the complete Ultegra 6800 group and I swapped that over to my Bianchi and but the 6700 group with FSA SLK cranks on the Icon. I have also put a Thomson stem and seat post on it with a Selle Italia superflow saddle and Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels. It's a 56 as I'm 5' 11''. I'm not sure as of weight right this minute (this was for training purposes and not meant to be a weight weenie)but I can get it tomorrow night after our ride and get some pictures for you as well. I knew it was going to be a stiff bike but I was very surprised at how supple the ride was too. I can only really compare that to my race bike tho. It handles very nicely. I did put my race wheels on it for a group ride one time and it felt amazing. It has the same geometry as the Xenith I believe. Definitely a great bike to have and definitely race worthy by all means. Pics and weights will be up probably Friday.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com