HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:02 am
Posts: 215
Location: Danmark
I have been trying to install a 50t Stronglight CT2 chainring on my compact 170mm BB30 Exogram cranks. I've filed the hidden arm and it fits in the curve, but i still need to press the chainring on the crankset to get it to fit. When i install the bolts and all, the chainring ends up beeing uneven where the hidden arm is (closer to the frame). So the chain will run a bit to the left and right in the cage. Anybody had the same problem?

_________________
ShowMeTheBike Blog

Kaptajn Webstore


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:13 pm
Posts: 43
Location: BC, Canada
CaptainP wrote:
I have been trying to install a 50t Stronglight CT2 chainring on my compact 170mm BB30 Exogram cranks. I've filed the hidden arm and it fits in the curve, but i still need to press the chainring on the crankset to get it to fit. When i install the bolts and all, the chainring ends up beeing uneven where the hidden arm is (closer to the frame). So the chain will run a bit to the left and right in the cage. Anybody had the same problem?


I had the exact issue with mine and I was conviced it was something wrong with the crankarm. I took it to the bike shop and, to my embarrassment, they fixed it in 5 minutes; the interface between the crankarm and the chainring was not clean, and all they did was to remove the chainring, clean both parts and reinstall - problem solved.

It sounds as if you filed down the crankarm; I suggest you to file the chainring down instead (i.e. round the corners).


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:02 am
Posts: 215
Location: Danmark
alexalecu wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
I have been trying to install a 50t Stronglight CT2 chainring on my compact 170mm BB30 Exogram cranks. I've filed the hidden arm and it fits in the curve, but i still need to press the chainring on the crankset to get it to fit. When i install the bolts and all, the chainring ends up beeing uneven where the hidden arm is (closer to the frame). So the chain will run a bit to the left and right in the cage. Anybody had the same problem?


I had the exact issue with mine and I was conviced it was something wrong with the crankarm. I took it to the bike shop and, to my embarrassment, they fixed it in 5 minutes; the interface between the crankarm and the chainring was not clean, and all they did was to remove the chainring, clean both parts and reinstall - problem solved.

It sounds as if you filed down the crankarm; I suggest you to file the chainring down instead (i.e. round the corners).


I've already tried cleaning both parts, and the original Sram chainring fits like a glove, but the Stronglight just need at little pressure to settle, but then when fastened with the bolts it's uneven.

And don't worry i filed the chainring and not the cranks :D

_________________
ShowMeTheBike Blog

Kaptajn Webstore


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:31 am
Posts: 138
I had to file the hidden arm of the chainring on my Praxis rings, but other than that, no problems. 1,500km so far and no issues.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:32 pm
Posts: 217
Location: Bexley, Kent, UK
So can anyone confirm that Stronglight chainrings will fit SRAM Exogram?

I have 34 and a 51 110BCD that I would want to fit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:07 am
Posts: 3
prendrefeu wrote:
They do work, if you rotate them.
Praxis does not market them to work with the new exogram cranks, but they do work. See the difference? All you need to do is rotate the two chainrings a bit so that they are still oriented together/aligned but now match the crank arm hole pattern. You can file down the catch pin, it is really unnecessary but included "just because" - Adam has even mentioned somewhere that the length of that catch pin was made fairly standard and it can be filed down to make it fit for various arms.

and for those of you still asking: READ THE THREAD!!! THIS WAS ALREADY COVERED IN THIS VERY THREAD!!! WHY ARE YOU ASKING QUESTIONS WHICH HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED IN THIS THREAD?? READ, PLEASE, READ!!!!!


OK I'm new (to this forum anyhow) and have just read through (twice) the 18 pages of this thread. Here is what I'm seeing if I'm reading the info correctly.

- they work if you rotate them 180 (pin in the wind)

However the 2 main pictures posted show the pin in the wind but just above or just below the crankarm (not 180 rotation)? So with this I would like to "clarify" the following..

1. They work if you rotate them 180 (pin in the wind)
2. They work if you rotate them (pin in the wind) either just above or just below the crankarm
3. They work if you file down the pin so you can install in the regular rotation with the pin behind the crankarm

Thanks in advance


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 7519
Location: Los Angeles / Glendale, California
1. Yes, 180° work perfect, as-Praxis-intended (ie, their "shift" system)
2. Yes, it will work, but not absolutely-as-Praxis-intended perfect.
3. This last one... it won't install that way on a Exogram crank because on the back of the arm there is a mounting hole, but the pin is located in between mounting holes. So yes, you can file it down since the pin won't be put in use, but it won't be behind the Exogram crank arm. That's not possible.

_________________
Exp001 || TeamLACBC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:07 am
Posts: 3
Thanks so much, I will order some up while I wait for the official SRAM ones. I know they'll be heaiver but I like the look.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:56 am 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:08 am
Posts: 6767
Location: Urbana, Illinois
I'm bumping this thread with a question. Is anyone now making aftermarket rings designed to work with the hidden bolt Sram cranks?

_________________
-For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
-This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.
-Sticky Fingers John Rockefeller
-First one over the cliff wins!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:06 pm
Posts: 247
Is there a need? Even my Osymetric rings can be used as intended on the sram red cranks, so there shouldn't be any reason why any round chain rings can't go on it.

_________________
Trek Mad-one 7 Series team colours http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=115500&start=15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:56 pm
Posts: 692
I know that the Extralite Octaramp RC2 rings work with the new crank.

_________________
6.24kg CAAD10


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 am
Posts: 990
Kayrehn wrote:
Is there a need? Even my Osymetric rings can be used as intended on the sram red cranks, so there shouldn't be any reason why any round chain rings can't go on it.

:| but you don't have the same cranks...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:17 am
Posts: 575
Location: NZ
Hi

TA Specialites Hegoa (53/39) work fine on mine.

Cheers
GJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:44 pm
Posts: 15
My Sram 39 T gear is only 29 grams (130 mm).


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:24 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:21 am
Posts: 163
Out of curiosity, anyone using the Praxis/Red crank configuration with Di2? I'm tempted to go this route if there's no problem with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], nameless, rmerka and 48 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Di2 read derailleur damaged

in Road

sambaverde

7

420

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:07 pm

Nejmann View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. removed - please read the rules

in Road

blackthunder

0

190

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:55 pm

blackthunder View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. replacement crank decals? Or sprucing up a plain crank

in Road

davidalone

2

774

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 am

davidalone View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dura Ace RD7800 part info please

in Road

PhilWalterNZ

4

536

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:05 am

odin99 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. TOUR Magazine light frame test - January 2014 info?

in Road

villahidalgo

13

1972

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:40 pm

DWatkinsBSB View the latest post


It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB