New Red crank info, must read! :)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bluhorizan

by bluhorizan

Just installed Praxis 52/36 sub compact chain rings with 2011 Sram Red crank set and couldn't be happier. The shifting is precise and the power transfer feels much more immediate. Now using 52/24 gearing for 6% grade climbs which I never would have tried with red compact rings. Hope to add Quarq soon. Any suggestions appreciated.

AptosBigRing
in the industry

by AptosBigRing

Dear Mate,

- If you are using a traditional 5arm crank, they will work perfect.

- The brand NEW 2012 RED has it's own new 4 arm mount with 5th mount in the arm. At this time, we do not market our rings for this crank due to the mounting.

- 2011 RED = Yes
- 2012 RED = No

Adam@Praxis
Praxis Works
Manufacturer
Santa Cruz, CA
www.praxis-works.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blantonator

by blantonator

AptosBigRing wrote:Dear Mate,

- The brand NEW 2012 RED has it's own new 4 arm mount with 5th mount in the arm. At this time, we do not market our rings for this crank due to the mounting.

- 2011 RED = Yes
- 2012 RED = No

Adam@Praxis

are you guys working on rings for the new RED?

mate

by mate

AptosBigRing wrote:Dear Mate,

- 2011 RED = Yes
- 2012 RED = No

Adam@Praxis

Thanks Adam

You are saying that like that "It will work, but your catch pin will be rotated 180 degrees from where it normally is.", it wouldn`t work?

Matevz

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

They do work, if you rotate them.
Praxis does not market them to work with the new exogram cranks, but they do work. See the difference? All you need to do is rotate the two chainrings a bit so that they are still oriented together/aligned but now match the crank arm hole pattern. You can file down the catch pin, it is really unnecessary but included "just because" - Adam has even mentioned somewhere that the length of that catch pin was made fairly standard and it can be filed down to make it fit for various arms.

Now, why are they not marketed to work? Because the whole Praxis concept is that with Levatime(tm), the chainrings have ramps and bits to perfectly engage your chain as you rotate the cranks with the most ideal situation of your power stroke in the rotation, and this is all based off of the traditional arm orientation that we've seen from past SRAM and Shimano, FSA, etc, crank arms. Technically speaking, the Levatime system will still work fine no matter what: if everything is rotated together, it will work. Will it work as absolutely perfectly to the utter millisecond that Praxis intended when they designed the chainrings? Maybe, maybe not, but the shifting is still phenomenal and you probably won't notice the difference. As a business it is not Praxis' intention to market that their product works when it isn't to the exact perfection that they intended - which, thankfully, Praxis is a very high-standard company. This also allows them to produce new sets of chainrings in the future which match the Exogram cranks (and, potentially, have an upcharge, but that's between them and your wallet to discuss). Marketing, look it up sometime.

So yes, you can use the current chainrings from Praxis with your Exogram cranks.

PERIOD.

and for those of you still asking: READ THE THREAD!!! THIS WAS ALREADY COVERED IN THIS VERY THREAD!!! WHY ARE YOU ASKING QUESTIONS WHICH HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED IN THIS THREAD?? READ, PLEASE, READ!!!!!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mate

by mate

prendrefeu wrote:They do work, if you rotate them.
Praxis does not market them to work with the new exogram cranks, but they do work. See the difference? All you need to do is rotate the two chainrings a bit so that they are still oriented together/aligned but now match the crank arm hole pattern. You can file down the catch pin, it is really unnecessary but included "just because" - Adam has even mentioned somewhere that the length of that catch pin was made fairly standard and it can be filed down to make it fit for various arms.

Now, why are they not marketed to work? Because the whole Praxis concept is that with Levatime(tm), the chainrings have ramps and bits to perfectly engage your chain as you rotate the cranks with the most ideal situation of your power stroke in the rotation, and this is all based off of the traditional arm orientation that we've seen from past SRAM and Shimano, FSA, etc, crank arms. Technically speaking, the Levatime system will still work fine no matter what: if everything is rotated together, it will work. Will it work as absolutely perfectly to the utter millisecond that Praxis intended when they designed the chainrings? Maybe, maybe not, but the shifting is still phenomenal and you probably won't notice the difference. As a business it is not Praxis' intention to market that their product works when it isn't to the exact perfection that they intended - which, thankfully, Praxis is a very high-standard company. This also allows them to produce new sets of chainrings in the future which match the Exogram cranks (and, potentially, have an upcharge, but that's between them and your wallet to discuss). Marketing, look it up sometime.

So yes, you can use the current chainrings from Praxis with your Exogram cranks.

PERIOD.

and for those of you still asking: READ THE THREAD!!! THIS WAS ALREADY COVERED IN THIS VERY THREAD!!! WHY ARE YOU ASKING QUESTIONS WHICH HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED IN THIS THREAD?? READ, PLEASE, READ!!!!!

That are the words I wanted to hear.

thanks

SORRY

CamW

by CamW

Hey Prend, The rings should shift exactly as intended. They should have rotational symmetry of order two otherwise they would shift differently depending on which foot was forward. Ie flip them 180 degrees and they should look the same except with the pin hanging in the wind.

nb. I haven't actually seen the rings although I would find it odd if they weren't symmetrical in this way.

CBRE

by CBRE

My Praxis 53t works perfect even along with a 39 Rotor Q Ring inner, shifts are solid and fast, next flex and perfect.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

CamW wrote:Hey Prend, The rings should shift exactly as intended. They should have rotational symmetry of order two otherwise they would shift differently depending on which foot was forward. Ie flip them 180 degrees and they should look the same except with the pin hanging in the wind.

Yes, I know, I'm running Praxis on my Exogram compacts. By stating something like "they may not work exactly perfectly but they'll work regardless" I'm still giving a nod to Praxis' marketing game while giving people a basically correct answer. :wink:

gospastic

by gospastic

Is the catch pin on the Praxis rings removable?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Not that I am aware of, it seems to be riveted in.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Mine removed itself somehow, so you should be able to remove it if you wanted :wink:

CBRE

by CBRE

gospastic wrote:Is the catch pin on the Praxis rings removable?

ANYTHING is removable, vise grips or dremel tool will work.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

AptosBigRing
in the industry

by AptosBigRing

Prendrefeu - Thanks for basically writing what I can't. :thumbup:

Adam@Praxis
Praxis Works
Manufacturer
Santa Cruz, CA
www.praxis-works.com

CamW

by CamW

:lol:

I hate the beating around the bush but fair enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com