roof rack v. trunk/boot rack v. hitch

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

swright

by swright

So, I posted a pic of my bike on my (Thule) roof rack, and the roof rack cynicism came out in force, e.g. "I would never-ever put my bike on the top of a car. The bike should be safely in the trunk..." and "Except when you forget it's up there and drive into the garage with the bike still on the roof...".

I was genuinely surprised, as (perhaps naively) I had always thought that a roof rack that made no contact with the frame was the preferred/ideal way to carry a bike, recognizing of course that you do need to be aware and cautious of the low clearance.

Others thoughts on the merits of the differen bicycle rack systems? Am I really that crazy to use a roof rack?

thanks,
Scott
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

chunky666

by chunky666

Roof rack for me all the way. Saves the hassle of having a massive car for the odd occasion the bike gets taken anywhere.

ImageIMG_4934 by chunkytfg, on Flickr

Carried 2 bikes all the way from London to Alp D'Huez with no issues other than getting there and finding there was just the odd thousand dead bugs on them!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Always roof rack for me. Have a wheel tray hitch rack for my wife's car when we travel but constantly fear being rear ended and the bike gets road grime on it back there. Image

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

TonyM

by TonyM

I almost always used the back seats for the transport of my bike. The best for the bike (no rain drops at 150 km/h etc...).

You don‘t need a large car for this is your frame is not that huge. It almost always worked very well for my bikes with frame 50-52cm (except in the sport cars that I owned).

AJS914

by AJS914

I've had roof racks for many years. I never drove into my own garage but I did have a close call with a parking garage at work. I just completely forgot the bike was up there and drove in. Fortunately had 1/2 of clearance and the rear of the seat scraped. Lucky!

Recently I had loaded the roof rack on my car for an out of state move to NM, and I scraped my fork carrier on the parking garage at the mall. Fortunately, no damage.

Anyway, the roof mount carrier is fine if you are never going to accidentally drive into a garage but it's easy to forget.

A long time ago I remember someone making a flip up magnetic sign that said "bikes on top". When you were driving the sign would flip down because of the wind but when you came to a stop it would rise back up as a warning.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Rear mounted for me. Makes life easy, especially with the jeep being fairly high, don't need to reach up too high.

themidge

by themidge

My bike goes in the (just wide enough, without wheels obviously) back of the family car, but everyone else's hang off the back :D.

LouisN

by LouisN

Closed trailer. Too many bikes to carry. Besides being hard on fuel it's the best option.
Or on rare occasion, inside the car.

Louis :)

djel

by djel

I had a roof rack for a while and I liked it enough, but I'll go with a hitch mount for the next time.

pros:
- looks good (to me that is)
- easy to mount
- can fit 4 bikes easily
- relatively safe from thieves for quick stops
cons:
- faint whistling nose (Thule aero bars)
- if the roads are wet, the bikes get dirty quickly
- can't get it low clearance garages / drive-thru
- slightly decrease fuel economy
- buuugs errrwhhheeere

plag

by plag

I went with the hitch rack mainly because my cars suck down the gas and roof racks do not help lol

Unfortunately I scratched the shit out of my bumper with it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoPho

by MoPho

chunky666 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:34 pm
Roof rack for me all the way. Saves the hassle of having a massive car for the odd occasion the bike gets taken anywhere.

Carried 2 bikes all the way from London to Alp D'Huez with no issues other than getting there and finding there was just the odd thousand dead bugs on them!

But that is a massive car :lol:

(though not so comfortable on a road trip lol)

mattr

by mattr

Use all three depending on how many bikes, which car, how many people and where we are going. Basically how much of the travel time we have to spend packing/unpacking.

When we had the van there was no argument or discussion. Was big enough for 6 people, 6 bikes, spares, tools, camping kit, food and the kitchen sink.

Well probably get another one when the kids are older.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I have used both. I found the tow bar hitch a pain as parking was tricky and the bikes picked up a load of road grime. Roof rack is noisier but far easier to use. The only grime they pick up is dead flies which is easy to wipe off. Ive driven all over France and Switzerland from the UK and never forgot about the restricted height issue (so far!)

chunky666

by chunky666

MoPho wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:04 am
chunky666 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:34 pm

But that is a massive car :lol:

(though not so comfortable on a road trip lol)
Wow! Very Nice! I had an Original mini as my first car. Loved it! Still Miss it! :thumbup: :cry:

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Used to carry the bike inside sideways between the front and back seats with the front wheel removed only. Easy in/out.

Decided against the roof rack due to aerodynamics, noise, and the way it kills mph!!

Installed a hitch and a Saris rack. The thing I hate about it is that the bike on it is always wider than the car, so the wheels stick out the sides. Also, depending on the vehicle, it sits high enough that acts like a parachute back there killing your mileage was well. Have a simple idea of one that would solve both of those issues but nobody makes it!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com