i would like your opinion (tri wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

small

by small

i am trying to buy a wheelset for my triathlon bike and i am between planetx carbon tubular 50-82 with tyres at 660€ and a wheelset of zipp 404/808 with carbon profil and aluminium rim model 2010 at 800€.can someone help me.
thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Given the Planet X are tubulars and the Zipps with aluminium rim are clinchers - main question will be which tyre type would you prefer to use?

Zipp with the toroidal rim shape (pre Firecrest) if you believe the literature is more aero that the V shaped rims of the Planet X.

Are either of the wheelsets second hand? If so it is worth checking the warranty.

small

by small

[quote="Dalai"]Given the Planet X are tubulars and the Zipps with aluminium rim are clinchers - main question will be which tyre type would you prefer to use?

Zipp with the toroidal rim shape (pre Firecrest) if you believe the literature is more aero that the V shaped rims of the Planet X.

Are either of the wheelsets second hand? If so it is worth checking the warranty.[/quote
planetx are new and zipp model2010 second hand
so do you believe that i have to go for the zipp?

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I think the Zipps would be faster. The PX rims don't fair very well in aero tests.

http://www.cyclingpowermodels.com/Compo ... amics.aspx
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

grid256

by grid256

I'm the first to dismiss bike company claims but will admit the advantages of rim shape are very real especially at higher yaw. I ride many windy tt's and will never go back to v shapes (I'm on Heds).

bikedoc

by bikedoc

i would search around for some DA50's which you can get for about £800 uk at the moment much better wheels.

PX are good value and are reliable (depending on what hub they have used) can be a handfull in cross winds
Zipp's well i cant think of anything good to say about them. Every wheel i used had problems, from spokes rotating during 16km TT's, hubs failing and rim cracking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com