Real design ultrasonic 40's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JettaTheHut

by JettaTheHut

I've been looking for a wheelset for training for a few weeks now and most wheels under 250 dollars are 1700-2300grams. Well I found a set of these carbon wheels for my budget but the only thing is they didn't get great reviews, but most of the reviews are from 2005.

Anyone else have any experience with these wheels?

For 200 I plan on just running them hard and next year spend some more money on a decent wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Even chinese carbon wheels are 400-600 dollars, so I'm not sure what kind of carbon you're getting for 200. Training wheels need to be strong and durable, stick to aluminum rims. Ultegra hubs/hed c2, open pros etc./2-3 cross etc.

joeyruan
in the industry

by joeyruan

russianbear wrote:Even chinese carbon wheels are 400-600 dollars, so I'm not sure what kind of carbon you're getting for 200. Training wheels need to be strong and durable, stick to aluminum rims. Ultegra hubs/hed c2, open pros etc./2-3 cross etc.

+1 and when you want to buy something, reviews is important

JettaTheHut

by JettaTheHut

oh i should have put that they are 2005-2006 used wheels, they came on the titanium litespeed bikes, they guy rode them for 500 or so miles and swapped them for easton ea90 slx's and stored these. They look new and in great shape.

Razor

by Razor

JettaTheHut wrote:I've been looking for a wheelset for training for a few weeks now and most wheels under 250 dollars are 1700-2300grams. Well I found a set of these carbon wheels for my budget but the only thing is they didn't get great reviews, but most of the reviews are from 2005.

Anyone else have any experience with these wheels?

For 200 I plan on just running them hard and next year spend some more money on a decent wheelset.

I had 2 pairs of the Supersonics (sold one recently). I kept one pair as a back up set/rain wheelset because I like they way they hold speed. They provide a comfortable ride, are relatively stiff.

I spoke to the guy who was building these wheels and he said that he suggested to his managers that the wheels have a weight limit but they declined to add that caveat to the wheel spec. He said that the rim was not that strong even with the carbon fairing bonded to it. I am 170lbs.

The wheels feel very fast but the spokes will go out of true because they either didn't use spoke prep or the nipples are garbage. I had a front wheel go out of true, then the back one. I sent the back one to Wheelbuilders.com and they swapped out all of the nipples and put in ProLock nipples, been true ever since. So, at your weight I would say the wheels will not hold up very well.

mjduct

by mjduct

for 200 buy a set of fulcrum 7's or campagonolo khamsin cross wheels that are 1700ish grams, brand new, sealed to death, and bulletproof

JettaTheHut

by JettaTheHut

im starting to find stuff now on weight limits, the 30's is 200lbs and the 60's are 225lbs.

I am 215lbs, so this may be trouble. i've looked at Mavic Aksiums,Ksyrium equips,Easton Vistas and a bunch more. I actually sold a set of Fulcrum racing T's thier weight without skewers or tires was 2400 grams and they were supposed to have fulcrum 5 hubs.

I might slap some mid grade tires on these and resell them on ebay and look for something else. I can almost promise you i'll pop spokes on my first ride if Razor's 170 and he had problems

i just wish there was more info out there but since real design split from litespeed and went out on thier own all the old info is lost.

Razor

by Razor

JettaTheHut wrote:im starting to find stuff now on weight limits, the 30's is 200lbs and the 60's are 225lbs.

I am 215lbs, so this may be trouble. i've looked at Mavic Aksiums,Ksyrium equips,Easton Vistas and a bunch more. I actually sold a set of Fulcrum racing T's thier weight without skewers or tires was 2400 grams and they were supposed to have fulcrum 5 hubs.

I might slap some mid grade tires on these and resell them on ebay and look for something else. I can almost promise you i'll pop spokes on my first ride if Razor's 170 and he had problems

i just wish there was more info out there but since real design split from litespeed and went out on thier own all the old info is lost.

I guess they are back to making wheels again.
http://real-wheels.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JettaTheHut

by JettaTheHut

might have a deal worked out for some a-class alx220's if not i may drop back to a heavier DT swiss or Mavic wheel