Specialized OS BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

likevelo

by likevelo

So much on osbb pf30 carbon all over the places:
Here Briscoelab commented c-bear as the best setup. Seemed to be agreed with others at http://forums.roadbikereview.com/specialized/sl4-pro-frame-osbb-campy-ultra-torque-crank-260617-8.html
Mtbfool at http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=85525 said
“C-Bear heeft dit samen met Specialized mee ontwikkeld en levert ook de parts hier voor.” so c-bear solution is available at Specialized in Netherlands?!
Common sense, alum.solution of c-bear is superior and more sensible than delrin (plastic) plus another plastic adapter. Cost a bit more upfront, better than constant battle with noisy crank, taking apart and putting back again...Look like they figure it all out, besides for campagnolo crank, c-bear also has fix for shimano and sram gxp too. Any more suggestions, before I dive in?

clingenpeel

by clingenpeel

I was using a BB30 Cannondale SISL SRM in my SL3 OSBB frame. Sold that frame, and the same bearings and crank fit in my SL4 OSBB frame without any additional spacers, or any issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

likevelo

by likevelo

Cannondale!Hmmm.......

JureC29

by JureC29

anyone have any idea what's up with that Speci pressfit 42mm and 46mm ... I'm about to get myself an SL4 Pro frame and probably ultegra groupset. I was about to install my old 10s Campy Chorus, but there was that thing with BB's not fitting... So I've decided rather to get a new groupset too :) Does anyone know... Does SL4 Pro model has carbon BB shells or clasic ones? Reading through some forum posts just made me more confused :) :mrgreen:

virenque

by virenque

All new OSBB press fit frames comes with adapter cups to use Shimano cranks, and there should be new adapter cups for Campagnolo coming soon, part number is S120400005. You still press in the bearings into the press fit cups and press them in to the frame, but you'll need to remove the bearings on the Campagnolo cranks and replace them with the new adapter cups, they work very well and is the best solution.

likevelo

by likevelo

virenque wrote:All new OSBB press fit frames comes with adapter cups to use Shimano cranks, and there should be new adapter cups for Campagnolo coming soon, part number is S120400005. You still press in the bearings into the press fit cups and press them in to the frame, but you'll need to remove the bearings on the Campagnolo cranks and replace them with the new adapter cups, they work very well and is the best solution.

Cyclin Dad mentioned he could not get hold of S120400005, http://forums.roadbikereview.com/specia ... 617-9.html"
Do you know where S120400005 can be ordered and is easily available? Sorry, u said coming soon, any idea, when? where? how?
The same forum (roadbikereview) has a lengthy discussion - educational, confusing or annoying - depending on your technical knowledge , seemed to conclude pressfit cups + adapter is not really a long term solution. As I said, common sense wise, it is not as good as one alum piece with campy cups fasten right on, so the crank is right next to the bearings. I guess that applied to shimano too. So I wonder how you draw your comment "work very well and is the best solution"? Are u speaking from actual usage? I am actually a greenie, trying to find the best option.

likevelo

by likevelo

JureC29 wrote:anyone have any idea what's up with that Speci pressfit 42mm and 46mm ... I'm about to get myself an SL4 Pro frame and probably ultegra groupset. I was about to install my old 10s Campy Chorus, but there was that thing with BB's not fitting... So I've decided rather to get a new groupset too :) Does anyone know... Does SL4 Pro model has carbon BB shells or clasic ones? Reading through some forum posts just made me more confused :) :mrgreen:

As far as I know, SL4 Pro has a 42x68 alumin (non carbon) bb shell.
u can use a campa 42x 68 bb adapter to fit your chorus onto SL4 pro.
To fit an ultegra, also need to use an adapter (plastic I believe), or I suggest you look into c-bear option
http://www.c-bear.com/shop/N_frame.html ... p/b2b.html
because instead of bb30 bearings in combination with the plastic adapter, c-bear one is an alum. press fit outboard cup, therefore more sturdy, more stability, no creaking. Common sense, a plastic adaper sitting in the middle, will or quicker than expected give way. Your choice obviously!

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

In any case, the Argon is a much more interesting bike. Get that and be done with the Specialized stupidity.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

likevelo wrote:As far as I know, SL4 Pro has a 42x68 alumin (non carbon) bb shell.

the sl4 frame has a 46x61mm frame. specialized's plastic cups bring the overall frame to 68mm...
likevelo wrote:The same forum (roadbikereview) has a lengthy discussion - educational, confusing or annoying - depending on your technical knowledge , seemed to conclude pressfit cups + adapter is not really a long term solution.

i can see how using specialized's plastic cups, without bearings, and then installing campy's 68x42 os-fit cups in that, is not a great idea. i feel there's too much potential for cup walk/pry-out. virenque is talking about a different system entirely that uses specialized's plastic cups, with bearings, then using specialized's new (available yet?) adapters which steps down the hole from 30mm to 24mm. this type of system has been used over and over, and is generally agreed to be the best way to go.
my only reservation is that specialized aluminum adapters can be creak-prone if not installed with very thick, very sticky grease. i prefer delrin, wheels manufacturing has something similar (you actually leave campy's bearings on the spindle, they will just be along for the ride) but is practically creak-free.
i dont like that the campy bearings dont get removed on that one, but hey, you cant have everything.

JureC29

by JureC29

Bah... I'll just get myself a new ultegra and sell Chorus. Anyone interested? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

likevelo

by likevelo

To Thisisatest:

1. Could u clarify the "specialized's plastic cup" you are referring to, is that the delrin pressin cups?
2. The specialized alum. adapter , are you referringn to S120400005? Is it entirely alum. I thought it is actually plastic but only where it touches the bearing is alum. lined. Is that correct? Does anybody know?
3. You mentioned 2 options: specialized's plastic cup with and without bearings. The first option without bearing , high potential of cup walk. Second option, 2 sets of bearing(total 4), one set is redundant. So what is your opinion of the c-bear option. You seem to know your stuff. I value your opinion.
4. Does anybody rode long enough with specialized delrin cups. I heard it is very loose fit and one user comment "it's worn over the ~5,000 miles" at http://forums.roadbikereview.com/specia ... 617-9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;". So is the 4 bearings + plastic adapter really the "best way to go" or c-bear's alum housing with total 1set bearings, no adapter better?

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

Only s-works tarmac have the OSBB. The pro has standard BB30. The venge in pro and s-works use the OSBB. The pro is an alloy with the s-works are carbon.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

if it's an sl4 tarmac, it's osbb.
plastic cups im referring to are #S100400001 delrin cups that come with the frame.
specialized's adapters which step the 30mm bearings down to 24mm for shimano cranks, etc, are completely aluminum. as mentioned earlier, they have a campy version in the works, ive personally havent seen one of those yet.
the roadbikereview forum issues have nothing to do with the wheelsmfg adapter. roadbikereview is talking about putting CAMPY'S OWN OS-FIT CUPS into specialized's plastic cups. this absolutely would cause problems, i dont know why specialized ever recommended doing that, etc.
the wheelsmfg adapter is delrin and functions similarly to specialized's 24mm adapter. you leave the campy bearings on the crank. this should pose zero problems. this adapter is in no way mentioned in roadbikereview, and in no possible way relates to their discussion.

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

SL4 PRO is BB30 not OSBB only the s works is OSBB I'll take a picture tomorrow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

swiftvelo,
it appears you are correct :oops: . good catch, i hadnt even noticed, and frankly im a bit surprised. i figured it was like the venge- pretty much the same with some layup changes, etc.