TCR TRIPLE OPTION

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

manny

by manny

I agree with your assesment concerning other considerations at times being more important than weight savings. I agree 100%. I think performance is the most important issue. It doesn't matter if its the lightest product out there if you wiegh too much for it, or need it to be stiff for your intended use. You indicated you weigh 200lbs, what is the weight of your carbon post and how does it perform? I could tell from your posts that you were concerned with comfort so you might like the carbon post, but do you find that it has flex to it, any concern about its durability over time?

KB

by KB

I'm no boffin so must go on physical feedback. 200 lb and coming down. I have ridden bikes from about 230lb. What has struck me is that alu is very uncomfortable, steel better, carbon best. I did once have a TI frame for MTB but wasn't impressed. I'm very happy with carbon. The post is WR Compositi and comes in at 155grammes. There is an element of flex, but again it looked exactly how I wanted. Another to aid the comfort stakes has been to buy the new ASSOS F13 shorts. Together with everything else i can now sit for nearly 2 hours on the bike without even getting out of the saddle. When I had the alu bike i couldn't last more than an hour. My criteria is that cycling is very hard and is compromised even more when your nether regions ache like hell. Some may say that the additional comfort is due to redduced weight: so the parameters are changing. However, i genuinely feel that carbon is more comfy. Maybe i should try a TI/Carbon mix for even more comfort.

As for durability: we are entering I suppose in to a brave new world. The short answer is I don't know. But ultimately the companies have safety and QA as an important ingredient. It soon gets around when components fail. I've been warned off some components as not being up to the mark.

So, maybe we should have a 'broken equipment' topic of what's good and bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

assos clothing is soo expensive here in the us. by the way, how much were the Schmolke bars? im considering them or the kestrel ems/sl, so im gonna weight the price difference.

also if you have ridden both bars, do you think the Schmolke has same stiffness as kestrel ems/sl?

KB

by KB

The ASSOS is expensive in the UK as well, but it's very high quality. The generally held view is that it's expensive for what it is, but the new shorts are very good.

I've never ridden the Kestrel's. Only the mainstream stuff like ITM and 3T. I'm told the Schmolke bars are 160 grammes. Cannot remember the cost, but very expensive.

This year I will get the TCR04. When I do that I will have the bike stripped and rebuilt. I will weigh every single part so I know how much they weigh. My bike was an approximate because I don't know exactly how much the Nokon cables and spacers weigh and it's difficult guessing. I work away in Africa so was like a bitch on heat trying to get back to the UK to collect and ride it. Beats Playboy any day.

I've noticed on the Weenies listings that the German equipment is usually very true to the published weights. It seems like the quality control they have on cars has passed on to bike parts. I hate to say this being a Brit, but German engineering is superior. I drive an Audi Cabriolet and it's what we Brits would call the 'dogs bollocks'. Big smiley face in summer with the top down. We sometimes make nicer looking cars, but they are not as reliable.

With regards stiffness etc, you would be better asking the younger dudes on that one. For me it has to be light, comfortable and look right. These criteria are inseparable. It cannot just be for function, that's why I had the frame gloss. Realise it also invalidates guarantees etc., but my wife says I have more money than sense. Funny how she doesn't like me saying it when she buys clothes. Life's a bitch and then your marry one!!!

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

"I hate to say this being a Brit, but German engineering is superior. I drive an Audi Cabriolet and it's what we Brits would call the 'dogs bollocks'. Big smiley face in summer with the top down. We sometimes make nicer looking cars, but they are not as reliable."

I still want a "real" Jag XJS. Bad electrics and all.
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

Wait for the new BMW M5, the 2000 - 2004 was a great all around car, my friend has owned every generation of the M5. the new 2005 will have v10 500hp, alu front end for better weight distribution. still i would like to see what i can do next to a 911 TT with an x50 power kit on it. the cayenne is a great truck, handles well. looking for that good straight to get it to special lower lever setting (must go over 138mph for that setting).

Franzam

by Franzam

@spytech:
The Schmolke Bar was the best in the durability test of the German TOUR magazin. And the only one sub 200g (162g). Otherwise only aluminum bars over 240g were strong enough.

spytech

by spytech

Yes, i have translated some of what they have on their press page. but that was 5 years ago. i would like to see a review and comparison with new bars like a kestrel ems/sl.

im still intrested in the bars, since they are handmade.

Franzam

by Franzam

It was the actually test in july 2003

spytech

by spytech

ohhh :shock:

than these are the bars to get :!:

thank you Franzam

KB

by KB

I can only go on feedback that I feel. I've noticed that even with the alu bars if you really pull hard there is some deflection. The Schmolke bars are exceptionally light with the added bonus of stiffness and comfort. My bike shop was worried that they were too fragile. I can assure you they are not. Easily the best I've ridden on. Also, Paul Vincent of Cycling + Magazine in the UK said that carbon bars in general are a good buy because of the stiffness/comfort benefit thing even though they are expensive. So, I recommend these bars.

Would reiterate a previous point that the German equipment is also very true to the actual weights they quote whereas some of the other manufacturers do not - Campag are pretty good as well. I work in an engineering environment and this is nearly always a sign that quality control and general standards are good rather than haphazard.