New Di2 9070 is coming... Help me pick a frame!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Help me pick a frame!

Parlee Z5SLi
32%
Pinarello Dogma 2
5%
BMC Impec
14%
Cannondale SuperSix Evo
14%
Look 695
8%
Time RXRS Ulteam
3%
Scott Foil
15%
Cervelo S5 VWD
6%
Giant TCR Advanced SL
4%

Total votes: 79

mgordon

by mgordon

I've been planning to build a bike around the new Di2 group for a while, and it is now time to pick a frame. My only real criteria are that I want a Di2-specific frame (no cable stops), and I want it to be BALLER. I know that everyone's first response is to get the bike that fits best - but honestly, I'm a pretty 'regular' shaped guy, and can really fit anything - and I likely won't get a chance to test ride most of these. Here are the options I'm considering... I guess I should also mention what I'm looking for. This will be a race bike - I do mostly road races, preferably hilly ones. The times I do race crits I have a different bike I will use for those. I'm still young and stupid so something aggressive and racy is perfect. You'll also notice that I mention the bikes' looks a lot... I am of the mind that any and all of these bikes are MORE than good enough for me; so if the objective 'quality' of the bike is not really an issue, aesthetics are just as good a deciding factor as any.

Parlee Z5SLi - Has basically everything I want...

BMC Impec - LOVE the way it looks, not sure if it's even something I can really get. I've also heard a few iffy things about BMC reliability.

Pinarello Dogma 2 - Can get a very good deal on this one - but not crazy about the threaded BB (boring), and, honestly, the looks don't do it for me.

Cannondale SuperSix Evo - Can get a very good deal on this one, and it's a great bike, but somehow doesn't have the WOW of some of the others.

Look 695 - Not crazy about the limited options for stem and crank - but looks nice anyways.

Time RXRS Ulteam - Don't really like the look of this one, but worth mentioning

Giant TCR Advanced SL - Again doesn't really have the exclusivity but I really like the looks and had a 2009 version I loved.

Cervelo S5 WVD - Not exactly Di2 Specific - will still have holes for cables. Just can't bring myself to come to terms with its looks.

Not really interested in a Specialized or Trek - not for any specific reason... Just because. Anything I missed?
Last edited by mgordon on Thu May 31, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

"Anything I missed?"

Cervello? S5 if you want super racey, R5(ca!) for a slightly more relaxing day out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgordon

by mgordon

Thanks - added that to my poll... let the people speak!

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Argon 18 Gallium Pro Di2 is nice

If it was me I would get the Ridley Noah Pro and run Di2 internally with internal battery

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Assuming you can get a satisfactory fit on all of them, get the most classic look, Parlee or Cdale would be my favs, or maybe the Cervelo R5 that was mentioned.

When I got a bike last year I went for the most "BALLER" within my budget, but that wore off quickly, and now I'd prefer it to be more subtle.

Although, I have to admit, the BMC is quite a nice blend of sleek tubes and modern features.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

R5ca......done......and, done :beerchug:

Lou3000

by Lou3000

btompkins0112 wrote:R5ca......done......and, done :beerchug:

Wasn't Ryder riding a Di2 specific R5ca in Italy? I know there was some discussion as to whether it was a Di2 specific model or it was a one off.

As for the choice, Look 695. I realize you are agreeing to a proprietary stem/crank, but is there some other crank out there that really excites you? I just think it is such a unique bike.

SSB

by SSB

Cervelo S5 VWD would have to be my favourite. Looks real sharp with Di2, and is a joy to ride. I've only had experiences with the Team model, but I've heard the VWD is even sweeter than the Team.

If R5Ca is actually getting internal Di2 routing- then I would pick that.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

mgordon

by mgordon

Well, I asked... As much as I want to build about the nicest bike possible... The R5Ca is a bit out of my league.

SSB

by SSB

As an amendment to my post above- what size are you?

If you're a size 56 or above in the Cervelo, then maybe I wouldn't choose the S5. It starts to look weird in sizes 56 and up.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

mgordon

by mgordon

Typically I ride a 54cm.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I forgot the Scott Foil premium is a Di2 only bike and is aero and stiff.
Last edited by NWSAlpine on Thu May 31, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjduct

by mjduct

I love how looks seem to be 85% of this equation.

mgordon

by mgordon

Oh yeah! Totally forgot about the Scott.

And yes... as I mention I think all of these are great bikes... Might as well admit that looks are pretty important to me.

Shoot - I edited my poll to add the Scott and lost all my votes. Sorry guys.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 2011

For me... PARLEE, hands down.