TRP 960 brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
JAX11
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:09 pm

by JAX11

Anyone have any knowledge of these brakes? I am going with dura ace 7900 groupo but wanted to try some different brakes preferablly in blue. Since i dont have alot of knowledge of bicycle component companies I figured Id ask on here about these. Are they worth the money and are they compatible with shimano shifters? (dura ace) (ultegra)
Last edited by JAX11 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie


MrMojo
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: UK

by MrMojo

Do you mean TRP 960? I've no experience but very interested myself in these or the 970's.
2017 Colnago C60
2012 Colnago C59
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2002 Colnago C40 Mapei
2001 Colnago C40

JAX11
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:09 pm

by JAX11

Thats what I mean. 960s..

Valbrona
Posts: 1482
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:25 am
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Once upon a time all road brake levers had the same actuation ratio and pulled cable on a 1:3 basis. Not so with 7900 which pulls 1:4. TRP have brough out 979 calipers which work with this new actuation ratio, but 960 brakes use the older 1:3 ratio.

I have heard mixed reports when using levers/calipers with different actuation ratios.

rowdysluggins
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 am
Location: Taylosville, Utah

by rowdysluggins

I don't know about the different actuation ratios, but I use them with DA7800 and they are fantastic. As strong or stronger than DA and with very good modulation. They are the best out of the brakes I've used (DA7800, Record Skeleton, TRP920, Ultegra).

User avatar
G6612
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

by G6612

I just recently put the TRP 970SL's on my SuperSix, I unfortunately only had one ride on the bike due to weather (winter bike has been activiated). I was very impressed with the 970's and think they were a step in the right direction from my Sram Red calipers.

Mikmik
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:30 pm

by Mikmik

rowdysluggins wrote:I don't know about the different actuation ratios, but I use them with DA7800 and they are fantastic. As strong or stronger than DA and with very good modulation. They are the best out of the brakes I've used (DA7800, Record Skeleton, TRP920, Ultegra).


Of course it works great...that's because the 7800 uses a 1:3 ratio just like the calliper.

The OP wants to mix a 7900 brake lever which has 1:4 ratio with a 1:3 ratio brake calliper. A couple people on here can tell you what will happen when you do that (or you can use the search function). See if you like the answers before forking out some dollars.
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

fatgary
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 3:48 pm

by fatgary

JAX11 wrote:Anyone have any knowledge of these brakes? I am going with dura ace 7900 groupo but wanted to try some different brakes preferablly in blue. Since i dont have alot of knowledge of bicycle component companies I figured Id ask on here about these. Are they worth the money and are they compatible with shimano shifters? (dura ace) (ultegra)


I have just replaced a low end Tektro brakeset (the T in TRP is indeed Tektro) with the 960s on 105 Shifters - absolutely no issues with compatibility

I have to admit it I bought it for the bling factor... The fact it is it extremely light and looks very well machined makes it worth the $

JAX11
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:09 pm

by JAX11

Okay so I guess ill ask; what will happen if u mix 1:4 shifters with 1:3 brake calipers?


I want to put the 960 trouble with ultegra 6700 gloss grey shifters

MrMojo
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: UK

by MrMojo

Just ordered a set of TRP R960 brakes. Found a new set on eBay for £168 including shipping to the UK so quite pleased! Going to be running them with Campagnolo Record 10 Speed levers.
2017 Colnago C60
2012 Colnago C59
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2002 Colnago C40 Mapei
2001 Colnago C40

2002SaecoReplica
Posts: 1944
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:02 pm
Location: Getting dropped

by 2002SaecoReplica

I have had them on my race bike for 2.5 seasons now and like them very much. Modulate good and are light enough. It also helps I know the guy(s) who designed them. I've seen the pencil sketch of the "prototype" before.
Last edited by 2002SaecoReplica on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

MrMojo
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: UK

by MrMojo

2002SaecoReplica wrote:I have had them on my race bike for 2.5 seasons now and like them very much. Modulate good and are light enough. It also helps I know the guy(s) who designed them. I'm seen the pencil sketch of the "prototype" before.



That's good to know, thanks Saeco. Can't wait to fit them, bike currently stripped for its annual winter clean but will be building back up soon.
2017 Colnago C60
2012 Colnago C59
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2002 Colnago C40 Mapei
2001 Colnago C40

eric
Posts: 2196
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:47 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, California, USA
Contact:

by eric

2002SaecoReplica wrote: It also helps I know the guy(s) who designed them.


I know the guy who designed the original. He's a friend and team-mate. You can see the full story here: http://ti2racing.com/TheTruth.html

simone
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:52 pm

by simone

I've been considering another brake set, as the KCNC set I have is horrible in comparison with the DA calipers I used to run. I checked TRP's webpage and there is nothing on the product page nor is there anything listed on their faq that indicates they wouldn't be compatible with DA 7900, which is what I run now. I had the KCNC set on the old DA 7800 and encountered the same issue - extremely decreased stopping power. In fact, TRP claims: "The R960 is nearly a full ounce lighter per caliper than the leading Japanese brand's top offering and offers tons of stopping power." This would lead one to believe that they have Shimano in mind. I suppose I will use the search function to find out exactly what issues are incurred by mixing TRP with DA 9600, as it's possible it's the same issue I have with the KCNC calipers.

by Weenie


2002SaecoReplica
Posts: 1944
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:02 pm
Location: Getting dropped

by 2002SaecoReplica

simone wrote:I've been considering another brake set, as the KCNC set I have is horrible in comparison with the DA calipers I used to run. I checked TRP's webpage and there is nothing on the product page nor is there anything listed on their faq that indicates they wouldn't be compatible with DA 7900, which is what I run now. I had the KCNC set on the old DA 7800 and encountered the same issue - extremely decreased stopping power. In fact, TRP claims: "The R960 is nearly a full ounce lighter per caliper than the leading Japanese brand's top offering and offers tons of stopping power." This would lead one to believe that they have Shimano in mind. I suppose I will use the search function to find out exactly what issues are incurred by mixing TRP with DA 9600, as it's possible it's the same issue I have with the KCNC calipers.


The KCNC's problems is they flex too much. All good brakes flex - it's called modulation - but the KCNC's flex to the point that braking power is diminished. The TRP's do not do this and were originally conceived with 7800 brakes as the point of comparison.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post