*********Subject name changed***** - Great photo of rider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zitter

by Zitter

Mine were vertical drop outs, but it would be hard to replicate with horizontal drop outs.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Zitter wrote:Same thing happened to me on a steel frame. Qr failed during a sprint and bent out the seat and chain stays exactly like that. Luckily I stayed up and skidded to a halt (shredded right through the tire). Mechanic was able to bend it back into place but I didn't feel comfortable riding it after that.

that picture is very telling. just like the OP's situation.
i gotta say that aftermarket, exposed-cam QRs are at least partly to blame. they simply dont clamp as hard for a given effort. and the pivot lube dries out and it gets ten times worse. a drop of lube goes a long way with those...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zitter

by Zitter

Thats also why I use dura ace skewers now

Phill P

by Phill P

walkercycling wrote:Specialized have replaced the frame.

I think more needs to be made of this. We hear people going nuts over bad warranty or behavior from big brands, but this is the high standard of support you want when buying high end equipment.

As somebody on the other page siad seeing the pictures and the fact the frame didn't explode or cause a crash meant he was more inclined to by a SL4.

Well I say Specialized's replacement of the frame is yet another reason to buy any Specialized.

Great bikes (road and off road) and great customer support!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

jordo99

by jordo99

thisisatest wrote:
Zitter wrote:Same thing happened to me on a steel frame. Qr failed during a sprint and bent out the seat and chain stays exactly like that. Luckily I stayed up and skidded to a halt (shredded right through the tire). Mechanic was able to bend it back into place but I didn't feel comfortable riding it after that.

that picture is very telling. just like the OP's situation.
i gotta say that aftermarket, exposed-cam QRs are at least partly to blame. they simply dont clamp as hard for a given effort. and the pivot lube dries out and it gets ten times worse. a drop of lube goes a long way with those...

What would you think of the security (not convenience) of QRs that install with an hex wrench? I've seen some very light-weight (30g-40g) QRs that install this way.

walkercycling

by walkercycling

Refer to post signed off by Brett, a good ending for all involved.

http://www.roadgrime.com.au/forum/topic ... ost_102288

aaric

by aaric

jordo99 wrote:What would you think of the security (not convenience) of QRs that install with an hex wrench? I've seen some very light-weight (30g-40g) QRs that install this way.

the 30-40g ones are titanium, and you have to be really careful with them. They tend to bind up a bit, and you can shear the heads off of them if not careful. There's a very fine line between tight enough, and too tight. I ended up snapping the head off one of mine trying to unscrew it, and stripping the hex bolt out of the other one in a hurry. Not the sort of reliability I was looking for in a skewer ;)

So now I run ~70g steel ones, and am pretty happy with them (halo - they were ~$20). Great clamping force. And since I carry a 5mm hex wrench with me all the time anyways, not a huge deal. Granted flat repairs take a little bit longer, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Dura Ace skewers for the win. Just isn't worth the hassle and risk with going to most lightweight (cheap) skewers