Bontrager Aeolus 5 ACC - Any Experience With Them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joshf

by joshf

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2011 Trek Speed Concept. It came with Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 ACC wheels. They are 50mm carbon clinchers with alloy braking surface. They say Manufactured by Hed. Thet were discontinued in 2011 it appears. I assume that Trek spends a lot on R&D and Hed is a solid company so i think theyre good. Am trying to decide if I want to keep them for training, or sell them. If i sell ill be training on 2005 Ksyrium SLs. I will use a Disc setup for TTs. Has anyone used these? Thoughts?

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

They are not the lightest wheels but they are bomb proof, pretty aero, have solid hubs, and you get the confidence of an aluminum brake track. I say keep them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

craddlepig

by craddlepig

Quite aero, I did notice the difference at >15mph over a non-aero wheel. They are not bad in cross winds (no worse than my Fulcrum Zeros with thick bladed spokes).

Only issue I've had with all Bontrager wheels is the rear derailluer touches the spokes in the biggest rear gear, just needs a bit of adjustment to sort it out.

shadwell

by shadwell

Keep em and train on them.....

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

I've had the opportunity to play with these for a solid two weeks of riding. They REALLY start to shine at about 20mph-23mph. As compared to my climbing wheels, it really does feel like I was cheating the wind.

And yes, they're a tiny bit heavy ~_~