Is the rise and hype of 52/36 compact here to stay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dolophonic

by dolophonic

maxxevv wrote:I find it odd that the industry is so slow to do this ...

I've had it on my bike since compacts became commonly available maybe 4~5 years now... :noidea:

Me too.. Stronglight CT2 been available for ages,work really well.

What hype.. ?oh Rotor..well most everything about them is based on hype no?

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

KWalker wrote:I've yet to have a single issue with it shifting with 7900

The issue for me isn't shifting, but the need to shift. If you have say an 11-23 cassette, 34-50 or 36-52 leave you with a spot right around the cruising speed, where a lot of double shifting is required. With 11-25 or 11-27, it's less annoying.

The spacing between chainrings is best kept small if you have a tight cassette range. That's why I like 44-55 with an 11-21 on the TT bike. If you need a wider range, then it's fine to increase both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

dolophonic wrote:
maxxevv wrote:I find it odd that the industry is so slow to do this ...

I've had it on my bike since compacts became commonly available maybe 4~5 years now... :noidea:

Me too.. Stronglight CT2 been available for ages,work really well.

It's been a standard option of SRAM Red since it first came out! :roll:

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I haven't had a chance to ride a 52/36 yet, but I a contemplating moving this route. Anyone have experience that can speak to the shift quality? I have read some reports that the shift performance is poor.

Svetty

by Svetty

If I run 50/34 I use the 50 almost all the time and only use the 34 on steepish gradients. Hence the 50 wears pretty fast. On a 52/36 I can use the 36 a lot more ( I use an 11 smallest sprocket) so the chainset lasts a lot longer.

Devon

by Devon

aeroslave wrote:All my bikes have standard and I play with the cassette. Thinking this might be a good way of standardising to an 11-25.

Just use the 11-25 exclusively with your proper crankset. End of.

djconnel

by djconnel

Maybe it's different with electronic shifting, but I really like the front manual shifts I get with 36-46, especially since I more often don't need to touch the rear. And if 46-11 is good enough for Sven Nys and other world-class 'crossers, it's probably good enough for most of us.

Colin

by Colin

I agree, 36-46 shifting is very nice, much nicer than 39-53 cannondale rings. Even with crappy FSA chainrings the shifting is pretty quick. I don't race a whole lot of road, but a 46t is typically enough for me in a 3/4 race around here. Even heard stories of a local guy who raced on junior gearing in the P12 class, winning a couple of sprint finishes.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Ahillock wrote:I haven't had a chance to ride a 52/36 yet, but I a contemplating moving this route. Anyone have experience that can speak to the shift quality? I have read some reports that the shift performance is poor.

I've been riding a Campagnolo Chorus 52/36 setup for a couple of months and I have absolutely no complaints regarding FD shifting. To be honest, I think it's better than it was with my old bike. That was Campagnolo Record equipped with a 53/39 combo. I should note that both bikes were not built by the same local bike shop and my latest bike was set up so perfectly that it might play a role as well.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

^ Thanks. I was thinking of going with Praxis chainrings. Someone mentioned BBB chainrings to me as well.

turndownwhip

by turndownwhip

Just run it with an 11-26 rear cass...hard go wrong ing any situation except 15% plus...

Dammit

by Dammit

I'm pretty sold on the 52/36 for my "good" bike, as it's the one that needs to be the most flexible- it'll get taken to Norway, or the Alps, and it's nice to be able to stick the 12-27 on there.

For use in England it always has an 11-25 on, but it's the work of a few seconds to swap the cassette when heading for somewhere with some pointy bits.

That said for my second string road bike I'll be sticking a 53/39 on simply because it's for UK use and won't he used elsewhere.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

If I was in the UK I would be on 53/39 - 11/25 for sure. There are actual mountains where i am though, and my current 50/34 - 12/28 setup gives me what I need. I have been stepping up my 'bad-ass-ness' recently though, so would probably be OK on something a bit more manly now.... Naaaaah.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I run 54/39 S-WORKS team rings. But elevation here is >400ft. When it comes to chain rings there is no standard. Just like there is no standard rider, frame size etc etc. The right tool for the job. If you live in the rollers I'd think that combo might be perfect. To each his/her own.
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com