THM Clavicula M3 vs Zipp Vuma Quad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nismosr

by nismosr

pictures, 130 standard 172.5mm

2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

jz4nyc wrote:nismosr: a friend of mine got his as well this week (fairwheel finally got their shipment!), has 2 rides on it thus far and he absolutely loves the setup. mentioned that his mechanic put a decent glob of grease on the spider eyelet/chainring interface to prevent squeaking/clicking that was going on immediately after install during day 1's ride. day 2 was nice & quiet. has praxis 50/34 on there.

i'll see the bike in a couple of weeks and will snap photos.

WTF... If you torque the bolts up to 6nm then there is no freking chance of any squeaking..
Normal grease + carbon interface= :noidea: *1000..

What happens if the said ( cheap ) grease ( it is a bike shop after all ) , has some form of solvent In it that disagrees with the epoxy used To bond the carbon? Last time I checked THM discourage any grease anywhere near the carbon interfaces... Carbon paste yes grease :roll: :unbelievable: :noidea:

I have the excact same setup with 3000+kms and not one click/squeak.
I do own a Torque wrench though..

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Oops Nismosr thats a banging looking set up you got going on there.. :thumbup:

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

who knows, don't get excited! i'm only relaying what my buddy told me since i didn't see it. presumably the mech. read the install manual. my buddy is not mechanically inclined in the least, he just takes the bike to the shop and assumes they'll do it right, and he in turn rides the bike (quickly when needed; he has a couple of state champ titles). for that matter maybe it was carbon paste that the mechanic put on there. :noidea:

i agree with you that grease on carbon may not be the smartest thing.

sugarkane wrote:
WTF... If you torque the bolts up to 6nm then there is no freking chance of any squeaking..
Normal grease + carbon interface= :noidea: *1000..

What happens if the said ( cheap ) grease ( it is a bike shop after all ) , has some form of solvent In it that disagrees with the epoxy used To bond the carbon? Last time I checked THM discourage any grease anywhere near the carbon interfaces... Carbon paste yes grease :roll: :unbelievable: :noidea:

I have the excact same setup with 3000+kms and not one click/squeak.
I do own a Torque wrench though..

YinYang

by YinYang

Nice crank nismosr!

What are the pros and cons between the regular THM Clavicula vs M3?

djconnel

by djconnel

M3 is heavier, stock crank.
Regular Clavicula is bleeding edge light.

sedluk

by sedluk

They are both very nice. The Clavicula is more expensive and lighter. The M3 is more versatile because you can change the spider.

The Clavicula has a carbon fiber spindle and metal sleeves for the bearings. This can be a problem with some bottom brackets because the bearings do not line up with the sleeves.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I love those cranks. In the end I decided to stick with my vumaquads and I put the money I would have spent on a new crankset towards building a TT bike, which will help improve my fitness and riding a lot more than a new crankset! Maybe next year...
Speedplay is the devil!

YinYang

by YinYang

sedluk,
Which bottom bracket does the clavicula has issue with?

sedluk

by sedluk

I don’t think you can use the Clavicula with the Cervelo BBright Directfit which is on the R5ca. You can use it on any of the other Cervelo BBright frames which are more like a pressfit, I use it on my R5 VWD with a THM BBright bottom bracket. The THM BBright bottom bracket is like many bottom brackets in that it places the bearings outside the frame.

THM makes a BB30 bottom bracket with outboard cups. So maybe I don’t completely understand the BB30 bottom brackets. But I would assume that you would normally just press BB30 bearings into the frame and have spacers on the spindle on each side. So it looks like instead you can buy a full bottom bracket shell and have your bearings outside the frame and then you can use the Clavicula.

For some reason they list the Epic (Specialized) bottom bracket as compatible. That BB has spacers (8.5mm and 6mm) and it looks like the bearing would not line up with the metal sleeves on the spindle. For some reason they list that as compatible.

The M3 has an aluminum spindle so it is more versatile.

If other people know more, please share.

spytech

by spytech

Anyone knows, if the M3 crank will work with BB90, trek's???

has it been done before?

civdic

by civdic

Not sure if that's going to work. You'd have to get a adapter to go from a 68mm BB width to 90mm and accept a 30mm diameter spindle. Your frame is essentially 22 mm to wide.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

spytech wrote:Anyone knows, if the M3 crank will work with BB90, trek's???

has it been done before?

the width is not the problem. it's that the bearing bore is 37mm, leaving no room for a bearing between that and the 30mm spindle. there are adapters for Shimano Pressfit to thm because pressfit is 41mm od, but even that is squeezing it to a less-than-ideal situation.

edit: i take it back. look at the lightning cranks site-they list something for bb90
http://lightningbikes.com/cranks/bb-cup-types.html

Scarpa

by Scarpa

Does now anybody know if the THM, Zipp or the Specialized will work with bb90 Trek Madone?
Thanks for replay

bricky21

by bricky21

Specialized S-works, no, it's a BB30 crank. THM M3, yes. Zipp :noidea: , but I imagine someone clever could somehow use the THM BB with the Vuma or any other 30mm spindled non BB30 cranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com