Scratches in lacquer on chainset

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

by JesseD

Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of a second hand Sram Force carbon chainset. The condition of the chainset is ok however it does have some scuffing/rubbing marks on the NDS crank arm, probably from shoe rub.

These are not too deep and are just cosmetic however I want to try and polish them out and back to a gloss finish on the lacquer, to do this what should I use and what process should I follow?

Also on the inside of the same crank arm the lacquer has delaminated slightly around what looks to be a chip from a small tool like a flat headed screw driver, does anyone see any problems with me just using a tiny bit of superglue to stick this down, or is there a better option?

Your thoughts oh wise ones!

by artray

You can sand with a fine wet and dry paper and then apply some clear . If the carbon is compromised you could have a problem. I would stick a photo up and see what the ww on here think. I had what looked like a tiny patch of carbon on some Zipp bars that was a shade lighter than the rest of the bars , it all seemed fine. About a month later the bars gave out on me ,snap broke in two. Beware.

by Weenie