Sram 2012 Yaw? terrible shifting underload?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I don't know why SRAM didn't just take the same steel force front mech that everybody's been using since and just slap a red label on it. it's like they knew how to do it right years ago yet keep messing with it for the hell of it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JensW

by JensW

kulivontot wrote:I don't know why SRAM didn't just take the same steel force front mech that everybody's been using since and just slap a red label on it. it's like they knew how to do it right years ago yet keep messing with it for the hell of it.

they did sell a RED with steel cage

djwalker

by djwalker

I checked my yaw derailleur alignment last night after the loud noise and jamming feeling while downshifting. It had been moved from being perfectly in line with the alignment marks on the cage to about 1/4" tail out. So, it was clear to me that the chain had actually hooked the cage somehow and twisted it outward. I replaced the yaw FD with my old Force one since I am concerned if whatever happened would happen again it might either ruin the derailleur or damage the mount. Besides this problem the yaw FD is also really finicky to align. The Force FD went on in minutes and works well enough.

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

djwalker wrote:I checked my yaw derailleur alignment last night after the loud noise and jamming feeling while downshifting. It had been moved from being perfectly in line with the alignment marks on the cage to about 1/4" tail out. So, it was clear to me that the chain had actually hooked the cage somehow and twisted it outward. I replaced the yaw FD with my old Force one since I am concerned if whatever happened would happen again it might either ruin the derailleur or damage the mount. Besides this problem the yaw FD is also really finicky to align. The Force FD went on in minutes and works well enough.

Out of curiosity did you torque it down?

djwalker

by djwalker

Yes, it was torqued with a torque wrench to SRAM's spec. And the bolt was still tight when I took it off.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I do think the braze on clamp surface seemed a bit tiny and suspect MAYBE it can move after a while.

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

Mine hasn't moved a bit, I've checked the gap on mine a few times I torqued mine down to 7nm

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

MikeMiranda wrote:Mine hasn't moved a bit, I've checked the gap on mine a few times I torqued mine down to 7nm

Hmm I am using 5 nm on mine