Fulcrum Racing Zero vs. Mavic Ksyrium SLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I am looking for an new wheelset because my Fulcrum Racing 1 wheelset is becoming a little bit thin on the rims (do they have marks on it when the rim is becoming too thin?). I rode the Fulcrum's for more than 6 years now and without any problem. An amazing ride, these Fulcrums racing 1's. I also have the Fulcrum Racing speed XLR wheelset as my daily ride (great wheels!!!), but a want a alu clincher set as a backup for rainy days (in the alps).

I am looking at the Racing zero's (I don't like the silver/black Racing 1 set) or the Mavic Ksyrium SLR. I really like the looks of the SLR, but I think that the zero's are a better wheelset. They are also much cheaper then the SLR's. Another advantage is the fact the Zero's and the racing speed can be swapped without any hassle. No need to adjust the rear derailleur.

Problem; I keep looking at the sexy SLR's. Without Exalith and the thick spokes I would not hessitate and pick the zero's but now the zero's look a bit dull next to the SLR's. :shock:

Need advice: Which wheelset and why?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njleach

by njleach

I can only say from the fulcrum point of view - i've been riding the zero's now for 4 years and they are absolutely bulletproof - have NEVER had a problem with them in that time and they've remained true through crashes etc...

An extremely reliable, durable & good all-round wheelset - i wouldn't hesitate getting another set :thumbup:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Fulcrum. Why? Rock solid and easy to keep them going for ages.

(+ I'll never be a fan of Mavic stuff except for their old rims perhaps...)

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Do you guys have a racing zero colour setup that you like the most? Is the set with the red spokes still available? I don't want the 2 way fit wheels. I think I will pick up the the black+white edition or the black+red.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i have fulcrum racing zero , black and white. looks way better than red spokes in my opinion. very nice set of wheels. only thing about campy, is their skewers weight alot. clamp action is nice, but there are other nice/lighter options for skewers.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I had a set of first generation Racing Zeros (2009? I believe) with the red spokes that were kind of flared near the rim. Rims were black and hubs were black alloy. Functionally, these were/are awesome wheels but I just never grew to like those spokes. I had them paired to a rather colorful C50 (ST02) and the combination kind of made the whole thing look a little "Christmaslike". To each his own but the red spokes can be difficult to match with a lot of frames, if that's a concern. Great wheels though.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zachariah

by Zachariah

Try the Campagnolo Shamal Ultra. A hair better than the Racing Zero....but spades above the Ksyrium, in stiffness and rolling smoothness:

Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

njleach

by njleach

poppiholla wrote:Do you guys have a racing zero colour setup that you like the most? Is the set with the red spokes still available? I don't want the 2 way fit wheels. I think I will pick up the the black+white edition or the black+red.

i went the black & white - figured they'd be compatible with any future framset/components:

airwise

by airwise

From personal experience it's really difficult to go wrong with the Ksyriums. Utterly bullet proof and reliable, if you hurry you will get the three year crash warranty too which is a big bonus. Fulcrums are a bitch to get tyres on and off from in my experience - important for me.

brycerider

by brycerider

Go the Fulcrum. Very reliable. Hubs way better than Mavic. I got some "Dark Label" which are black spokes with black decal on dark grey. Fairly muted so work well with most frames.

Sent from my ME860 using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

notsoswift

by notsoswift

brycerider wrote:Go the Fulcrum. Very reliable. Hubs way better than Mavic.

+from me
Typically Mavic is not as good long term

sawyer

by sawyer

airwise wrote:From personal experience it's really difficult to go wrong with the Ksyriums. Utterly bullet proof and reliable, if you hurry you will get the three year crash warranty too which is a big bonus. Fulcrums are a bitch to get tyres on and off from in my experience - important for me.

Ks = overpriced cac.

Reliably bad yes. The aerodynamics are matched only by the treacley hubs.

Fulcrums without rim tape are easy to get tyres on and off (Zeros, 1s, and 3s). The rest are indeed a bitch I agree.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I have both wheelsets - started with the Fulcrums but couldn't resist the look of the SLR Mavics -

The Fulcrums are lighter (1418g Vs 1437g actual)
The Fulcrum hubs run more freely
The Fulcrums are stiffer laterally (less brake rub) and softer vertically (The mavics are quite firm vertically - even for a Clyde like me)
The Mavics brake REALLY well after the pads are worn in - although they do go through the supplied pads pretty quickly
The Mavics look superb
The Fulcrums look really nice after you remove all the decals (if you like understated like me)
The Mavics have a rider weight limit of 100kg (in the very fine print) - the Fulcrums I think are the same as Campy - 108kg ish
The Fulcrums are probably marginally more aero given the smaller spokes

If I was choosing on performance alone - Fulcrums
If looks count as well....I still haven't decided but truth be known the Mavics have been on the bike more since I got them.

Good luck deciding - I can't :D
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frew8020

by frew8020

Fulcrum