Boyd wheels ...???? any coments anyone..?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

loco2546

by loco2546

Guys please help me .! I want to buy a wheelset i have heard about the BOYD carbon clincher 50 mm for a reasonable price. However are they good ..? if anybody has any experience with them please share it . it will be really apreciated.!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

loco2546

by loco2546

Or should i go with the zipps....?? :shock:

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

go with Boyd

ldamelio

by ldamelio

For carbon clinchers, go with the Boyd and save yourself $1600 - you could buy 2 1/2 sets of Boyds for the price of the Zipps. Carbon clinchers are an inherent compromise. At the risk of drawing flames, they look racy but are heavy and generally brake poorly. If you just want high profile carbon wheels to improve the cosmetics of your bike, they'll do the job. Otherwise see no reason for carbon clinchers until technology sheds another few hundred grams and braking surfaces improve. To me, the minimal to non-existent real world performance difference between the Boyds and the Firecrest shaped Zipp clinchers seems hard to cost-justify.

If budget is not limited and you're looking at tubulars, I'd give the nod to the Zipps in the Firecrest era in terms of performance. Personal decision as to whether the $1450 difference in tubular prices is worth the few watts saved. High cat racer at the front of the pack: go for it. Recreational rider: save your money.
YMMV

nickf

by nickf

I would have gone zipp myself but im on a budget. I went with the williams 38 carbon clinchers. Have had the wheels for about 1 1/2 years and 8k+ on them. No issues at all. Well built wheelset. The brake track on the williams wheels is extra thick. Makes for a nice stiff braking surface. Hubs are also top quality, durable bearings that roll forever. They came in 1491g which isnt so WW. But they are a durable stiff wheels so i think i will live. Boyd does build some nice wheels. Not sure about there rims layup though. Im really sold on the williams brake track. Sure its a way to reinforce the clincher bead, but it works. Have seen a could post on here about guys doing some extensive descending on them with no issues. But bike handling and brake modulation is key.

Jere

by Jere

Hi
I have 3 sets of Boyd's and 2 sets of Zipps
The Boyd,s do not have the look at me or braking of the Zipps.
My Boyd,s have thousands of mile,s on them and are still true.
If you get the clinchers go with the extra spokes.
Jere B

by 555969

I would agree with everyone that Boyd wheels are really nice. I just got a set a couple weeks ago and have put a couple hundred km's on them and they ride really nice. For the money I don't think you can find a nicer set of new wheels.

rainbowstripes

by rainbowstripes

JP Dilworth 2012 2.jpg
I've won 7 races on his wheels this year....many more in the past

Broid

by Broid

Love my Boyd 38cc's. Can't beat the price and quality...

CBRE

by CBRE

Very happy with my Boyd 24mm carbon tubulars, use them for training, very solid and stupid light for the price.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I had a set of 50mm tubulars from Boyd. They are average. Taiwanese Bitex hub, Taiwanese rim, CXRays for the spokes. The difference is how they string them up and their customer service.

The Boyd's rolled descent, were strung up tight, and were true the entire time I had them. I sold them after 3 months and got a set of Zipp 303 FC tubulars. Then I bought an inexpensive set of 50mm clinchers for training and some racing.

I actually like my 50mm cheapo clinchers better than the Boyds. The Chosen hubs roll quieter/smoother on the clinchers I feel, have aero blade spokes and for much less than the Boyd's.

It is really up to you. It is personal preference.

Boyd's customer service is second to none...that I give them a big thumbs up for.

loco2546

by loco2546

I will go with Boyd wheels .! They offer crash replacement and 2 year warranty which I like .! Thanks everyone for your comments . I appreciated your help .! :beerchug:

Mordi

by Mordi

Just received a pair of Boyd 24mm tubulars. Came in a few grams under advertised weight (a good start). Can't say enough about customer service (big thumbs up :thumbup: ). Will be racing them in the mountains this weekend, so I will be able to really test the acceleration and braking.

2wheeljunkie

by 2wheeljunkie

+10 on the Boyd wheels. Great person too work with also.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

Mordi wrote:Just received a pair of Boyd 24mm tubulars. Came in a few grams under advertised weight (a good start). Can't say enough about customer service (big thumbs up :thumbup: ). Will be racing them in the mountains this weekend, so I will be able to really test the acceleration and braking.

let us know how they do!