Just the laquer or something more sinister

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pedalmonkey

by pedalmonkey

Hi

I crashed by last carbon frame big time time last year, so have built up (with the help of insurance) a new bike based on a Giant TCR SL (that's my claim to it being a light bike, it's just over 14lb for the build) , finally got it on the road (done 60 miles in total) , gave it it's first clean at the weekend and found some strange 'marks' a dull patch on the top tube and little lines, and some little lines coming down from the steerer on the other side,

I don't know if I should be nervous, or just get on with it ... think this is going to be my last carbon frame

Any advice appreciated, I know it's hard to tell from pictures, I'm a little disheartened at the moment as but a lot of effort into this build, it appears to be in the laq, lots of experiance with alloy frames, not a lot with carbon ... thoughts ?

Cheers

White mark on top tube and lines over the T
White mark on top tube and lines over the T

Lines coming down from race
Lines coming down from race

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

looks like crazing in the laquer. definitely not anything to worry about but still a bummer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

pedalmonkey wrote:Hi

I crashed by last carbon frame big time time last year, so have built up (with the help of insurance) a new bike based on a Giant TCR SL (that's my claim to it being a light bike, it's just over 14lb for the build) , finally got it on the road (done 60 miles in total) , gave it it's first clean at the weekend and found some strange 'marks' a dull patch on the top tube and little lines, and some little lines coming down from the steerer on the other side,

I don't know if I should be nervous, or just get on with it ... think this is going to be my last carbon frame

Any advice appreciated, I know it's hard to tell from pictures, I'm a little disheartened at the moment as but a lot of effort into this build, it appears to be in the laq, lots of experiance with alloy frames, not a lot with carbon ... thoughts ?

Cheers

Do not worry. It looks quite OK, nothing structural.

artray

by artray

You could sand the clear off and apply some new clear . Just use some fine wet & dry.

Irish

by Irish

An easy fix is to buy some Autosol and polish out the blemishes, its worked a treat on my previous tcr.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Nail polish (clear) is Laquer.
Cheap.

1. Apply
2. Buff Smooth
3. ???
4. Profit
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

shadwell

by shadwell

paint and clear gets misappklied to alu, steel and Ti too mate...
no need to throw baby out with the bathwater....

just ride... its alll good

pedalmonkey

by pedalmonkey

Thanks everybody, I'm not going to try and 'patch it up' as i will probably just make it worse. Think I am just worring about carbon to much as there is some my bad press / miss information , found these marks on the steerer and thought 'oh no it's going to fail' just need to get on with it and enjoy the new bike

workToMuch.jpg

Cheers all

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

while the steerer tube looks essentially fine, something is making very shallow scoring marks, probably when removing and reinstalling a stem. if it were mine, i'd look for the culprit and sand/bevel any sharp edges in the stem clamp area. it's simply a good thing to do with clamping surfaces.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com