New CAT brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Just heard about new CAT brakes coming out,to be re-branded as ZERO GRAVITY.They will be a little cheaper and LIGHTER(182g for the pair)!They will have CNC machined pad housings and a TI cable fixing bolt.Anyone else heard about these?

Regards Caadhead.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

KB

by KB

I've just bought a pair of CATS through Poshbikes in the UK in the last couple of weeks. Contact Andy Wallis at info@poshbikes.com. He seems really well clued up on these things. I noticed a bit of a barb at him by someone that he's bound to push certain products. That may be the case but what i've purchased from him has been very light, but done everything he said they would do. In particular the Schmolke bars are fantastic. Stiff, light, but very comfortable. The stuff coming out of Germany nowadays is very high quality indeed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTC

by JTC

Actually the CATs are out of the US (Athens, Ga.) twenty minutes from my house. I have to vouch for Andy at Posh as well. Always helpful when I talk to him.

J-Nice

by J-Nice

I e-mailed CAT-USA about any new products because they do not have a picture of their new brakes on their website, so if someone could post an updated picture, it would be much appreciated.

jim

by jim

jtc, have you run those cat brakes on your bike down the back side of hogpen gap? i ran my ever faithful dia-compe brakes with ti bolts (their original name before cane creek got hold of them) at six gap last year, and they were great as usual. i've had the latest set of cats sitting around collecting dust, and was wondering if you've run them in the hogpen area

spytech

by spytech

the only thing i can see improving on is weight, and not by much. these brakes work well, i have not had one problem with them yet. plus they look good also. :D

Are they going to 2.0 the ones i have say 1.0??? anyone?

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Jim

If you want to sell those CATs that are collecting dust let me know. I have a set of brews which are superlight. Have not run them down hogpen - my six gap bike has dura ace. Am in Colorado now so will let youknow how they go on the hills here.

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Im interested in the brakes too!

jim

by jim

if i decide to sell the cat brakes, this board will be the first to know. those brews work well. they're basically the same as my dia-compes, and the cane creeks, except steve garn from brew has reworked the way the cable attaches to the back of the back of the brake to save a little weight. i had a set for a while, but i wasn't too keen on the satin type ? finish that steve applies to the brakes

JTC

by JTC

Hey jim, I do not actually have the CAT brakes. I am waiting on carbon calipers. A buddy of mine has been using his for a while in the GAPs with carbon rims and has never complained about the braking. I don't think the calipers are the limiting factor with braking on Hogpen, I think that the rim is. CAT brakes with alu. rims should brake well. Superlite is in Colorado and he has used CAT brakes for a while, maby he can give us an opinion on braking with them in the mtns.

jim

by jim

jtc, have you ante'd up for the ax-lightness carbon brakes? i have to admit they are worth buying for the coolness factor alone :D

Superlite

by Superlite

My honest opinion about CAT brakes? The don't stop as good on descents. Takes a very long time to slow down, and I only weigh 130lbs! On one of my rides I seriously thought I wasn't going to make it back cause I thought I was going to fly off a switch back and take a short cut to the bottom. :shock: Thats why I'm not using them on my new bike. If your on flats and mild hills, there great, but living in the rockey montains desents are scary with them! You don't stop! Would never use them again. Plus, when depress hard the cable tends to slip! So you could be without brakes when you need them most. Plus there a pain in the ass to adjust. Something like brakes shouldn't be hard to adjust, they fail out here, and your dead!

JTC

by JTC

Yes, infact I am waiting on the AX lightness calipers. I am currios to see how they look in person b/c they do look great in pictures!

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

JTC wrote:Yes, infact I am waiting on the AX lightness calipers. I am currios to see how they look in person b/c they do look great in pictures!

I want a set of these as well, let me know what you think of them JT?

Thanks!
Ride lightly!

JTC

by JTC

The brakes will be the last thing I need to finish the bike, so I will post pis and specs of everything when I am done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com