New CAT brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LOOK

by LOOK

Jim - I am the guy JTC is referring to with the CAT brakes. I've ridden on Durace, Campy Record, and CAT brakes on the same bike with the same wheels and I have found the CAT brakes superrior to all of them if you change out the brake pads that come with the CAT brakes. I changed to Dura Ace pads on my Ksyriums and Dura Ace carbon pads for my American Classic carbon wheels. If the brakes are set up properly and you use the stock pads that come with the brakes then you might find them difficult to stop on a decent like Hogpen. I wonder if Superlight is running the stock pads and having the same problems I had.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

I tries 3 different types of pads, none provided nearly as good of stopping power as my DA brakes on fast technical descents. Like I said, using them is suicide on the kind of descents that are out in my back yard.

spytech

by spytech

wow superlite, you use to love these brakes, all of a sudden you say they dont stop, you have them for while and now is that you say that. i am 168lbs, and i must say they do stop just as good as any campy or shimano brake.

for what its worth, i think the brakes are great, all the guys at toga bike shop that usually stick to traditional parts, said that the brake was A-OK, and that it would be something to get -except that the price was high.

Superlite

by Superlite

No offense, but you live in NY, not too many real hills out there. I loved my CAT's for the most part, but on descents, I'm talking 10% and up they suck. Don't trust them, wouldn't buy them again, and the owner of CAT brakes is very rude.

spytech

by spytech

well, i live in uptown manhattan, 190st is the highest part of manhattan and our biggest hill is there i went down once (i had too :D ) and i would not be talking all this Gar - bage without testing them out. THEY HOLD UP, i do not know why you did not mention this before, in all your talks about the cat brakes, i practically got them because of you - now that i have them, i think they're all that and more. i may not have to much exp. on a road bike, but i do know when my brakes are suppose to stop.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I have to stick up for Superlight here. The mountain in Colorado are a rare breed!! It's not uncommon to come down a 10% twisting, turning, hairpin laden mountain road. And these are not just decents that last a few minutes.....some of these roads I train on up near Vail have that kind of pitch and decent for 10-20 miles.

I would give him the benifit of doubt when talking about technical decents.

Superlite

by Superlite

Thanks Xterra, only a Coloradan would understand. 8)

Spytech, I never mentioned they sucked before on descents because I didn't even use them on steep descents until the end of the season, so I didn't know. For your terain they should work great. Yes they do stop the bike, but you said it yourself, your new to road, so trust me, compared to DA the can't hang on descents.

And I liked you definition of a descent, 190 St. :lol: Dude, get out to Colorado and you will then know what mountains are. And if your wondering I have been to New York over a dozen times, upstate and in the city. The biggest climb I ever rode was Storm King, and that doesn't hold a light to the climbs out here.

ras11

by ras11

I know this is wayyyyyy off subject... if my memory serves me correct, their's quite a nasty race up Bear Mt., just north of the City. Well... there used to be a race about 10-15years ago.

Hey superlite, have you run into Tyler yet! He's training in your back yard. don't be chatting on the internet all day, go get on his wheel!!!

CAT breaks... ah.. yeah... do they take food stamps?
:-) Toys-R-Us

Superlite

by Superlite

Nah, haven't seen Tyler, I think he's in Boulder Colorado. I have seen Mike Creed, new member of the US postal out on our group ride a couple weeks ago.

jim

by jim

hello look, thanks for the info. it may be beneficial to run my existing dia-compe brake with ti-bolt setup on the front, and use a cat brake on the rear. last year i ran american classic carbon wheels at six gap, and had no problems on any of the descents with the dia-compe / ti-bolt setup with the carbon specific pads.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

These new brakes are now featured at WWW.CYCLINGNEWS.COM under TECH NEWS.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

CAADHEAD wrote:These new brakes are now featured at WWW.CYCLINGNEWS.COM under TECH NEWS.

They still look too "blocky". No flowing curves like everything else on the bike. :?

I'll keep waiting for AX Lightness to have me at the top of their waiting list. :twisted:
Ride lightly!

jim

by jim

you should all visit

http://www.zerogravitybike.com

the new brakes are detailed there

mises

by mises

Doesn't anyone worry about using CNC to make brakes? I am an old enough fart to remember CNC cranks and other parts failing frequently (notch failures if I remember it right) and the subsequent total dominance of cold forging in cranks and brakes, so I could never trust CNC brakes.

If the cost of the AX calipers wasn't in excess of my lenient standards of reasonableness I would have no problem using those so if anyone wants to buy me some....

danielgillett

by danielgillett

from http://www.zerogravitybike.com

from http://www.cyclingnews.com

But. i think the best one is indeed, the ax-lightness caliper.
from http://weightweenies.starbike.com

What is the weight of these calipers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com