SuperSix Evo is truly a sluggish bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Trolling 101: pick the lightest, most expensive product with the most accolades on a bike forum and declare it utter garbage and watch the ensuing flame war.

artray

by artray

I think its a decent post . Stop being a snob.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Camilo

by Camilo

I didn't think the posting itself was all that trollish, although the subject title was. It seems to me that what OP was saying was simply that the ones he tried weren't to his liking (including sluggishness) and he also said he thought it was specifically because of the small size, even more specifically, because they don't adapt the fork rake to the frame size. On the other hand, his choice of words for the subject line were awful and pretentious, imho.

konky

by konky

kulivontot wrote:Trolling 101: pick the lightest, most expensive product with the most accolades on a bike forum and declare it utter garbage and watch the ensuing flame war.

I've seen quite a few remarks on the Evo's weight but not much on the ride quality. I'm sure some owners must have raved about it, but I can't say I remember any such comments.

leosantos

by leosantos

i own an evo and a caad10, put like 500 miles on both so far, and coming from a caad9 (never tried any other carbon bike)

the evo is by no means sluggish (size 56) but a generic comment Im forced to repeat is it is very close in ride quality to the caad10; maybe some users would disagree and Im willing to hear them. but I for one basically will only notice a tiddy bit more confort and some hundred grams less helping while climbing. so it is better than the caad and a nice bike, but after paying like 3 times less for the caad frame, one could expect the difference to be more pronnounced.. another generic comment though: all said before is not really a poor review for the evo, as it is a great compliment to the caad

KWalker

by KWalker

^That's not a fault of the Evo, that's just how good the CAAD10 is and how little of a difference there is in reality. The CAAD9 and 10 are pretty common privateer race bikes that a lot of people have and you always hear owners say almost the exact same thing you just said. I personally have owned a lot of different top end carbon frames and I've test ridden a lot as well and the CAAD is just as good as 90% of them with the others maybe having an edge in geo or comfort.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

deleted

gwilliams

by gwilliams

Having gone from S6 High Mod to EVO(both in 54cm) the main noticable difference I am finding with the Evo is that it feels more comfortable over rough tarmac and quicker descending. Not sluggish and climbs well.

artray

by artray

Light Bikes are twitchy and it is a very different ride from a heavier stiffer bike which stays a lot more stable and feels easier to ride fast . A light bike is just as quick, I find you have to be a bit more agressive until your up to speed, except when climbing , thats when you get the real pay off.

53x12

by 53x12

gwilliams wrote:Having gone from S6 High Mod to EVO(both in 54cm) the main noticable difference I am finding with the Evo is that it feels more comfortable over rough tarmac and quicker descending. Not sluggish and climbs well.

Happy with the upgrade to the Evo or do you miss anything from the S6 High Mod?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Not all light bikes are twitchy. I would not call my Crumpton 'twitchy' and its 9.7lbs. It tracks as well as any bike I've ever ridden. I think being 'twitchy' has more to do with the fit than a bike just being light. But yes, you do feel the weight (or lack thereof) on the hills.

53x12

by 53x12

^ Not only fit but definitely geometry as well. I have not noticed weight (or lack of) causing a bike to be twitchy.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

gumgardner wrote:Not all light bikes are twitchy. I would not call my Crumpton 'twitchy' and its 9.7lbs. It tracks as well as any bike I've ever ridden. I think being 'twitchy' has more to do with the fit than a bike just being light. But yes, you do feel the weight (or lack thereof) on the hills.

+1

My not quite as light parlee is not a little bit twitchy
The handLing is very, very sharp but not twitchy at all.
The moots I was riding for a few weeks. Very twitchy and a whole kg heavier than My palree.
It's more to do with the geo, fork and choice of tires

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

gumgardner wrote:Not all light bikes are twitchy. I would not call my Crumpton 'twitchy' and its 9.7lbs. It tracks as well as any bike I've ever ridden. I think being 'twitchy' has more to do with the fit than a bike just being light. But yes, you do feel the weight (or lack thereof) on the hills.

Completely support your fit comment. I recently flipped my 10degree stem and pulling out a spacer to drop my bar height by ~30mm or so and my bike felt very "twitchy" and nervous out of the saddle. Climbing on the hoods felt a bit odd with my bike swaying/shaking much more than I would like or am used to.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Fork rake plays a role as well