My SL5 Tarmac vs New Cervelo S5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markdjr

by markdjr

I need the internets help to make what feels like a tough decision. I have an SL5 Tarmac that I have put a lot of time and effort into customizing and lightening up where I felt like I could. It is a 58cm SWorks with Dura Ace di2, Enve 3.6 wheels, CK Ceramic hubs, eebrakes, I just had the rear wheel replaced under warranty and rebuilt with Berd spokes. It is right about 6.95kg.

All that being said, it was love at first sight for me and the new S5 and today I was presented with an opportunity to get a very good buy on one, but I'd need to get rid of my Tarmac to make it happen. Looking forward to anyones thoughts.
Attachments
20190610_194909.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

That bike looks very weird to me. Especially the stem, spacers etc....To me you need a bigger frame and a regular and shorter stem...

If you buy the S5 make sure that you get the right size, stem etc....for your purpose

pocari123

by pocari123

Do what makes you happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I'd spend the money on repairing your gutters, and giving the house a lick of paint. :P :wink:

markdjr

by markdjr

RTW wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:05 pm
I'd spend the money on repairing your gutters, and giving the house a lick of paint. :P :wink:
Spent all the money for house repairs on Assos kit, but thanks for being a dick.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I'd sell the Porsche, get a cheaper car that will go from A to B as well, buy the S5 and keep the SL5... and have spare money for the house or to go on trips to ride the bikes! :mrgreen:

But being serious, TonyM has a fair point, with your bars being so high, you need to check if you can actually fit on a S5 with the proprietary V stem and bars, I'm not sure it's possible to get it so high. There is a bit of adjustment range but not as much as traditional stems and bars allow, plus aero bikes typically also have a lower front end to begin with... Plus, a 100% superficial comment, the S5 is perhaps the only bike I would become a slammed stem snob with, it just ruins the superb lines and look of the bike when there are spacers under that stem.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benzebub

by benzebub

I agree, seeing your Tarmac and the way it is set up I don't think the S5 geo is for you.
But I could be wrong

halcyongolf

by halcyongolf

I don't know how you're going to get the geo of the S5 to work for you. As I understand it, the stack of your SL5 size 58 has your stack at 591mm and your reach at 402mm. You seem to be running 20mm of spacers with a headset cap of around 10mm and a +6 degree stem.

The largest S5 is the 58 which has a stack of 588 and a reach of 402. However, you're limited to 32.5 mm of spacers with a stem that is fixed at a -6 equivalent angle (based on the Cervelo tech paper, I am probably wrong :D ). Add the fact that you're going to be more limited in how much your can rotate your bars up (as you have them in your current bike). If you're not too sensitive to the fit being off a decent chunk it seems OK....but it might not be for you.

Looking at you're bike and the size, I would venture a guess you may be tall with long legs and a relatively short torso. That's a tough fit esp. for the integrated design of the S5 when the largest size is a 58.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

markdjr wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 pm
RTW wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Spent all the money for house repairs on Assos kit, but thanks for being a dick.
Apologies, and thank you. No offence meant.

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Uh, I don’t think you can get the cervelo to fit you.

gurk700

by gurk700

If you're asking my opinion, as a Cervelo fan and ex R5 and S5 owner,

NO THANKS on the new one. I wanted it to grow on me.. It's just butt ugly to my eyes (front end). But taste are tastes. If you like the looks of it, I'm sure it's an amazing bike. The previous gen S5 is my favorite bike ever (that I've owned) after my current SL6.

chorus88

by chorus88

Buy the S5D. :beerchug:
It's very distinct.
I would buy one if the price was more manageable.
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

DJT21

by DJT21

If you haven't already, I'd put the money towards these

We definitely need a picture of your back garden as well...

romanmoser

by romanmoser

bike fit sir, most needed !

and stop wend wax too, not good for your drivetrain

markdjr

by markdjr

Dan Gerous wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm
I'd sell the Porsche, get a cheaper car that will go from A to B as well, buy the S5 and keep the SL5... and have spare money for the house or to go on trips to ride the bikes! :mrgreen:

But being serious, TonyM has a fair point, with your bars being so high, you need to check if you can actually fit on a S5 with the proprietary V stem and bars, I'm not sure it's possible to get it so high. There is a bit of adjustment range but not as much as traditional stems and bars allow, plus aero bikes typically also have a lower front end to begin with... Plus, a 100% superficial comment, the S5 is perhaps the only bike I would become a slammed stem snob with, it just ruins the superb lines and look of the bike when there are spacers under that stem.
I'd be lucky to get $5k for the used Porsche, but I do agree about being a snob and needing to slam the S5, the pics I see of the spacers above the top tube are not my favorite look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com