Schmolke TLO 26mm + Extralite stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

46and2

by 46and2

Anyone has this combo? How is the stiffness compare to Zipp's SL + SL Speed Stem?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin1977

by Martin1977

I had this combo, but decided to replace stem for new Tune. Problem of Extralite stem are small clamps, which are not able to hold bars without creaking. Schmolke recomends to use just 3Nm with Extralite stem, which is not enough for me. When I tried 4Nm, creaking and stiffness improved, but stem left cca 0,2 mm marks on bars. So Local Schmolke dealer recomended me to replace stem for Tune. It is cca 20g heavier, but performs much much better. (they lend me their Tune demo stem, which I use now for about week, before my new stem arrives )
I also talked to guy, who told me, that it should not be big problem to bond Extralte stem and Schmolke bars permanently together, so I think I'll try it for next season :-)

But if You want standard bars and stem, avoid Extralite with Schmolke bars. Buy Tune and I think You will be happy with this combo.

Martin

HillRPete

by HillRPete

What about a Syntace F99? They are on Ebay for a fraction of the Tune price, and are in between with the weight.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Martin1977 wrote:I had this combo, but decided to replace stem for new Tune. Problem of Extralite stem are small clamps, which are not able to hold bars without creaking. Schmolke recomends to use just 3Nm with Extralite stem, which is not enough for me. When I tried 4Nm, creaking and stiffness improved, but stem left cca 0,2 mm marks on bars. So Local Schmolke dealer recomended me to replace stem for Tune. It is cca 20g heavier, but performs much much better. (they lend me their Tune demo stem, which I use now for about week, before my new stem arrives )
I also talked to guy, who told me, that it should not be big problem to bond Extralte stem and Schmolke bars permanently together, so I think I'll try it for next season :-)

But if You want standard bars and stem, avoid Extralite with Schmolke bars. Buy Tune and I think You will be happy with this combo.

Martin

This is interesting. I used the schmolke tlo/extralite stem combo for over 2 years and never had a creaking issue, nor did I end up w/ marks on my bars. I did kill an older set of kestrel bars by not following extralite's instructions for tightening the faceplate.
Speedplay is the devil!

Martin1977

by Martin1977

I do not know, if there were any changes to Extralite stem over time, but now there are two quite small clamps which leave quite big gap at bottom and top part of stem. I think that performance would be much better, if this stem had one single and bigger faceplate. I also considered having custom faceplate made, but in the end I decided to buy Tune stem. And maybe during this winter I'll send stem and bars to local guy, who can bond this together in one single peace, which should solve all the problems with clamping area.
Attachments
IMG_3571.jpg