Itm pro 260 and rotor stem, yeah or nay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Italuminium

by Italuminium

I've bought a nice sx2 rotor stem with normal size clamp a year ago, but didn't knew there was a difference between road and mtb sizes back then (stupid me), so figured it was useles with my bar (which I like to keep, it fits me well) a itm pro 260. By chance I stumbled on an interesting bit of info, that itm actually made the road bars in 25.4 too instead of 26.0! So I checked it, and it appears that the size is something in between - 25.8. Can I use these bars safely with the rotor stem? I'm a bit anxious because of the extremely low weight of the rotor - half of the mantis stem it replaces!
Rides:
1980 ALAN super record, full campa SR, under construction

05 Principia Ellipse SX

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

itm's 25.8 is generally accepted to be the same as other brands' 26.0. i dont know what manufacturers' tolerances of the bars actually are.
some companies also made bars in 25.4, but they are typically much cheaper bars, mostly for entry-level O.E.. I would assume that's the case with itm.
nitto and some other japanese-based companies may make higher quality 25.4 bars, a lot of (all?) nitto and SR bars are 25.4.
i would not use a 26.0 bar in that rotor stem designed for 25.4.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com