SRAM Red Rear Derailleur Tuning with Fibre-Lyte

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I did some searching and couldn't find answers.

I'm going to tune the current version of the SRAM Red RD with Fibre-Lyte mech plate and pulley wheels, but I'm not sure about a couple of things.

For the mech plate, does it matter which size cage the RD has? The Fibre-lyte plate doesn't seem to come in different sizes, and the SRAM site doesn't list different cage sizes, but a few places selling it offer short and medium cages. Not sure if of the fitting here.

Also, the jockey wheels come in 10t and 11t. I think the stock wheels that come in the RD are 10t, so does it matter which size I get, or I have to get the same size as stock?

Cheers!

by Cheers!

the size of the cage depends only if you are planning on running really big cogs in the back.

Like a 12-27 ideally should be using a longer cage. If you run an average size cassette (11-23, 12-23, 12-25 etc) a short cage should be fine. Also the jockey wheels are kinda moot point. The theory is a 11t spins slightly less than a 10t rear cog and thus saves on power (less power loss). It's negligible.

The one important thing to note for jockey wheels is match the design with the original one. I can't remember sram derailleurs, I never bothered to take my apart. But for Shimano the top jockey wheel is designed to have side to side float. Some aftermarket jockey wheels don't have this float make messes up with the shifting a bit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks. So the cage length has no affect on the size of the mech plate? Basically the Fibre-Lyte plate will work with any size cage?

The jockey wheels do have lateral float, so it should be fine.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I would email Fibre-Lyte and ask them directly. Are you going to replace both the inner and outer cage with Fibrelyte parts? Stephen from Fibre Ltye sometimes frequents the forum. But best to ask them directly.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Measure the distance between the jockey wheels. Fibre-Lyte states 55mm for the Sram Reds.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I would, but I don't have the RD yet. Want to make sure I get the correct parts before getting them.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Cheers! wrote:I would email Fibre-Lyte and ask them directly. Are you going to replace both the inner and outer cage with Fibrelyte parts? Stephen from Fibre Ltye sometimes frequents the forum. But best to ask them directly.

Didn't even know they made an outter plate. I have only seen the inner plate.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Just wait till you you get the mech then. Save a lot of trouble.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Yeah, I definitely can, just figured someone on here has done this tune and would know.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Are you talking about Red 22? According to the Sram site there are only 2 options for the RD, the standard and WiFli (long cage). All 3 Fibre-Lyte Red cage options are for the standard cage version (55mm).

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I'm talking about the standard Red RD, not 22 or WiFli.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

My previous post applies to Sram Red 2012 as well.

BTW the jockey wheels have 11 teeth.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I mounted the Fibre-Lyte back plate to current generation 10sp Red and it worked very well. I took off the knob from the fibre-lyte (which was more for the previous generation Red) and then used a dremel to make the back plate look identical to the front.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

bazmac

by bazmac

jvanv8 wrote:I mounted the Fibre-Lyte back plate to current generation 10sp Red and it worked very well. I took off the knob from the fibre-lyte (which was more for the previous generation Red) and then used a dremel to make the back plate look identical to the front.

Any photos of what you did and more info as I'm keen to try to do similar to my red RD?

Cheers baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

5 8 5 wrote:My previous post applies to Sram Red 2012 as well.

BTW the jockey wheels have 11 teeth.

Thanks for the jockey wheels size, but still confused about he derailleur. So the current standard Sram Red RD only comes in a short cage?