Advice for Merida 904

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimF

by TimF

Hi all,

Been years since I've been on here! Need to lighten my Merida Race light and I'd like to do it on a budget if possible. Where are the heaviest parts that can be swooped out for sensible priced kit? Have already sorted the saddle. As this isn't crazy expensive to begin with I don't want top of the range kit.

Thanks, Tim

Ozrider

by Ozrider

If you list the parts on your bike I'm sure it will be easier to get feedback on what parts to replace

Simplest things are tyres, tubes, replacing rim tape with veloplugs, and light skewers, just changing these items often saves 250 - 400g off what is supplied with the bike

Bottle cages, titanium and alloy bolts to replace any stainless steel, and lighter cables like Alligator iLinks knock off other easy weight, as well as going with light bar tape like Lizard Skins DSP or Deda tape also cheap and easy

Seat post, stem and handlebars are also areas where you can lose reasonable weight.

Probably the biggest impact will be wheels, but this depends on what is already on the bike and how much you intend spending.

Cheers
Ozrider
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimF

by TimF

Very helpful, thanks for that! Spec below:

Headset: BC pro Neck

Bars: FSA Gossamer Ergo Oversize

Stem: Merida Pro Oversize

Shifters Shimano 105

Chainset: Shimano R565 50-34

Bottom Bracket: attached

Cassette: Shimano CS-4600-10 12-28

Chain: KMC X10 10s

Front Brake: Shimano R561

Rear Brake: Shimano R561

Rims: Fulcrum Racing comp

Front Hub: Fulcrum Racing comp

Rear Hub: Fulcrum Racing comp

Spokes: Fulcrum Racing comp

Tyres: Vittoria Rubino Slick 23 60 KV Front Vittoria Rubino Slick 23 60 KV Rear

Seatpost: Merida Pro 2 31.6mm

kjf88

by kjf88

I have one of these as my training bike and i understand why you want to shed some weight off it. The title 904 Race Light is a little bit ironic however it comes with a good groupset for the price and its a decent starting point.

Just yesterday i changed my wheelset for Pro-Lite Bracciano's (Front 618g / Rear 864g), teamed it up with lighter tubes and tyres and knocked off almost a kilo - 986grams according to my scales. The wheelset cost $410AUD and after a 60km this evening I am super impressed. Great bang for your buck factor. The standard wheelset is super heavy. Tonight was the first time that I actually looked forward to some hills, I am a chunky track sprinter and usually hate any hills bigger than a track banking.

I have also ordered a 145g Deda carbon seatpost for $71 and a 190g Bioflex Carbon Saddle for $46.
I am going to switch over the bars soon because i don't like them, I dont imagine that i will save much weight on them, maybe 100g or so.

TimF

by TimF

Thanks for the tips! Do you know how much the standard wheels weigh out of interest?mif it's any use this is what I know so far (still looking!)....

The Merida Race Lite 904 2012 Features are:

Frame: Hydroformed 6066 aluminium with smooth welding and X-Taper head tube
Weight?

Fork: Carbon fibre with tapered steerer
Weight?

Headset: BC pro Neck
Weight?

Bars: FSA Gossamer Ergo Oversize
292 grams

Stem: Merida Pro Oversize
Weight?

Shifters Shimano 105