Play in my SuperSix BB30 Axle - Bearings??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Noticed tonite I have a very small amount of side to side movement developing in my BB30 assembly...

Is this the beginning of the bearings being shot??? They are the factory Cannondale Ceramic ones. I have read that they aren't that great.... surprised they lasted as long as they have if that is in deed the problem? Both arms are torqued down to spec...

Thanks!

literider

by literider

I'd try adding another thin plastic washer. It's most likely just some play that has developed in the wavy washer, not the bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

You could try adding a washer its possible the bearings weren't quite pushed 'home' during installation but its more likely the bearings if you have been using them a good while, Cannondale ceramics aren't the best. This is one of the benefits of BB30, all you need to do is replace the bearings which are relatively inexpensive, just get the basic steel ones, far more durable.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Thanks for the replies.. the bearings have almost 2 years on them... I can feel the slight wiggle with the drive side crank off by just wiggling the non drive crank by the pedal or with the drive side on... it is more pronounced in different time poisiotns of the crank as well (ie 9 oclock may have slightly more movement than 12 oclock) Id assume thats bearing wear for sure....

Thanks!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

As other's suggested, with the proper spacers, then the wavy washer on on the ND side, when torqued to spec, it should spin freely, and there should be no play.

So, assuming you have done all that correctly, then there could be some issue with the bearings themselves. Taking the cranks off and just wiggling the bearing with your fingers you should be able to tell if that is the issue.

And if you are worried, bearings are only $30, just buy some new ones and swap them, install crank and go from there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Weird double post.