Weight Weenies
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/

Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102762
Page 1 of 2

Author:  HillRPete [ Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 am ]
Post subject:  Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

I'm looking for an upgrade in raw stopping power from my current C7s, and both Planet-X as well as Far&Near seem to deliver, for a budget. Has anyone used both?

Slightly leaning towards the Planet-X at this point, as they are cheaper and easily sourced in the EU, but curious to find out if the Far&Near are better. Planet-X are said to go out of center easily, for some.

Edit: found a place in Europe that has the Far&Near calipers http://www.bikefun4u.de

Author:  Weenie [ Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 am ]
Post subject:  Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers


Author:  astranoc [ Wed May 09, 2012 9:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

I am happy with my PlanetX brakes as far as braking and modulation goes. They do get very easily out of center though, feels like after every ride I have to readjust them, especially the front one. I don't have any experience with far & near.

Edit: I 've change the pads to swisstop yellow.

Author:  Juanmoretime [ Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

Ae you using the stock brake pads? I put SwissStop green pads on my C7's and found the braking to be very good.

Author:  HillRPete [ Wed May 09, 2012 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

I'm using Koolstop Reds, which are soft and grippy, but the calipers just flex too much under hard braking. I have a good 75kg (186cm :noidea: ) and am living in the Alps, so lots of switchbacks ...

When not adjusting the break shoes with extra distance from the rim border (inner edge of brake track) the pads would grind into the tyres' sidewalls because of the flex. Do I need to mention it's quite nasty blowing out your front tyre when approaching a switchback turn? Been there ...

Don't get me wrong, I think the C7s are great weight for the price, and probably just fine for most uses, except not-quite-crimpeurs in the mountains.

Author:  Tug Boat [ Wed May 09, 2012 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

I weigh about 190 lbs and love my Planet X brakes. I live in houston, though, and the closest thing we have to a hill is an overpass. That said, I've not felt anxious or nervous using them in crits with my carbon wheels. I'm coming from Campag brakes, and I don't notice any difference with the Planet X.

TB

Author:  stephent [ Wed May 09, 2012 2:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

Has anyone used the planet x brakes with Ultegra 6700 or DA 7900 levers? I know that the cable pull is supposed to be slightly different on those levers - wondering if that makes any difference to the braking power.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Author:  quattrings [ Wed May 09, 2012 4:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

I believe only 7900 has revised brake cable pull. Can not advise you wether that is a good setup because I do not own them.

I do however own a planet-x cnc brakeset and it is great value for money.

the good:
- they stop just as well as any Shimano, Sram and Campy brake. Dura ace is still the best though.
- quite a progressive feel
- light and cheap
- comes standard with some great pads
- available in many colours
- cheap and light :lol:

the bad:
- difficult setting up just right. cable length is critical
- not so easy to clean
- experiences have been reported with wide wheels not clearing the pads when the cam is opened fully. have not had this problem myself. I do have to adjust quite a bit when switching training and racing wheels, so the cable has to be clamped precisely.

I'd say they are good overall. Don't overthink it, just but the planet-x ones.

Author:  HillRPete [ Wed May 09, 2012 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

Hmm my Hed Stinger 6 are 28mm wide, probably among the widest rims out there.

Author:  billspreston [ Wed May 09, 2012 5:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

I've used Far & Near calipers for 4,000 miles. They have been excellent although I've never used the Planet X so I can't tell you if they are better. I would recommend the Far & Near to anyone given the price, weight, and performance they provide. Setup was simple and they haven't moved off center since I first installed them. Any specific questions you have about the F&N?

Author:  HillRPete [ Wed May 09, 2012 8:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

And on top of everything, the German CNC shop has the DAs for €150, that certainly does not make things easier.

Author:  artray [ Wed May 09, 2012 8:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

I have some px on my guru , there the best brakes I have used since my old dura ace 7800. I have had KCNC CB1's and a few others, I changed out the pad holders for KCNC because they are lighter 6.5grm. They are well under 200grm the pair. I am tempeted by Gravitas. I have tried ax, but they do not stop you that well altough the weight gain is good. It would be nice if someone made some super light brakes i.e under 120grms with pads that actually stop you really well.

Author:  mtnbkr [ Wed May 09, 2012 9:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

stephent wrote:
Has anyone used the planet x brakes with Ultegra 6700 or DA 7900 levers? I know that the cable pull is supposed to be slightly different on those levers - wondering if that makes any difference to the braking power.

Thanks in advance.

Steve


I have the following setup, DA 7900 levers with planet x CNC brakes. My other bike is 6700 levers with 6700 brakes. There is a noticeable braking difference between the two bikes. I'm 145lbs, and certainly don't have concerns over stopping with the planet x brakes, but just saying when comparing the two, I'd easily put the 6700 combo as "twice as strong" when compared to the planet x brakes. That being said, I might switch out the 6700 bike to planet x brakes so that braking power is matched. I'd consider the power "sufficient" but would never dare call them "powerful." This is with aluminum braking surfaces and green swiss stops.

I don't setup my brakes super tight either so there's plenty of clearance on each side. It is a little more challenging to center, but it's never been a problem for me since I probably want full contact at about 1/2 lever throw. I know my friend likes it on a hair trigger and he has rubbing sometimes.

Author:  stephent [ Thu May 10, 2012 11:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

mtnbkr wrote:
stephent wrote:
Has anyone used the planet x brakes with Ultegra 6700 or DA 7900 levers? I know that the cable pull is supposed to be slightly different on those levers - wondering if that makes any difference to the braking power.

Thanks in advance.

Steve


I have the following setup, DA 7900 levers with planet x CNC brakes. My other bike is 6700 levers with 6700 brakes. There is a noticeable braking difference between the two bikes. I'm 145lbs, and certainly don't have concerns over stopping with the planet x brakes, but just saying when comparing the two, I'd easily put the 6700 combo as "twice as strong" when compared to the planet x brakes. That being said, I might switch out the 6700 bike to planet x brakes so that braking power is matched. I'd consider the power "sufficient" but would never dare call them "powerful." This is with aluminum braking surfaces and green swiss stops.

I don't setup my brakes super tight either so there's plenty of clearance on each side. It is a little more challenging to center, but it's never been a problem for me since I probably want full contact at about 1/2 lever throw. I know my friend likes it on a hair trigger and he has rubbing sometimes.


Very helpful - thanks. I'm tempted to swap my ultegra for planet x. I'll be using them on carbon rims with swiss stop yellow pads. I guess I won't find out how good they are until I try them!

Author:  marcob [ Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

wassertreter wrote:
Hmm my Hed Stinger 6 are 28mm wide, probably among the widest rims out there.


I have no problems with wide Hed Stinger rims and the planet-x brakes.

Author:  Weenie [ Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers


Author:  buikpijn [ Thu May 10, 2012 1:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Planet-X vs Far&Near calipers

I've used these 'featherbrakes' with the ultegra 6700 shifters and they had at least the same stopping power than the 6700 brakes. On my Zipp wheels i didn't know what happened, wasn't used to that huge amount of stopping power.

Now i'm using sram red shifters, and the braking power has increased (cable pull differs on the sram). I've used them with aluminum and carbon rims.

No modulation/pulsation in braking although i think this is more a result of a dirty/uneven rim than anything else.

@ mtnbkr;

They do have got amazing stopping power, you just need to pull deeper. They will deliver, that's for sure.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC+01:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/