Prebuilt zipp with powertap? (Handspun brand wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

does anyone know anything about the Zipps with powertap, I think it is built by a company called handspun, and they use DT aerolite spokes.
Not sure if I should go with it or use wheelbuilder.com, wheelbuilder about $400 more for me. I don't think the handspun one is going to fall apart though?

On the Zipp website they are no longer listed and they just redirect you to wheelbuilder.com.. so does anyone have experience with wheels made by handspun.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I bought the powertap closeout deal Competitive Cyclist was running a few months ago. 32 spoke PT built up with Open Pro rim built by Handspun.

The wheel went badly out of true the first ride. I trued it so I could ride and it happened again (and again, every ride). Finally after the 5th ride, I took it to my shop. We noticed that Handspun had used a variety of different length spokes (per side). Maybe this is why it was a closeout? In the end I had it rebuilt with new spokes (the proper length, haha!) and it has worked fine, but I don't think the Handspun build was very good. Personally I won't be buying wheels built by them anytime soon, but maybe someone else has a better experience?

I also have a rear wheel built by wheelbuilder.com, 4 years ago that has only needed minor truing with close to 12,000 miles on it. Go with wheelbuilder.com.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

scary story, I wonder if they use the same crew to build the more expensive wheels, we are talking about $1600-$2000. If I take it to a shop to have them check the tension would it be that bad?

tonytourist

by tonytourist

My wheelset on my road bike was built up by Wheelbuilder.com, I've had them right at three years and thousands of trouble free miles. I had a slight wobble last year and I took them to my lbs for a true and snapped a spoke on the next ride. I sent them back to wheelbuilder for a spoke replacement and true and all has been fine since. Highly recommended!

denzity

by denzity

I have a Zipp 808 PT that was built by handspun with DT Aerolites. After about 100 miles it was massively out of true (it happened slowly, but I didn't fix it as I mainly rode TTs). Took it to my LBS and it's been true ever since, so I guess it was handspun doing a bad job? No sign of different length spokes though.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

If I have a shop check the work and tension before I ride will it be OK? We are talking about 20 spokes.. shouldn't be too bad to get this right.

I like what I see at wheelbuilder, but it goes for over $350 more and I cannot justify that cost.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

My advice, if you choose to take it is, buy the best and cry once. Go with Wheelbuilder.com You won't have to worry about whether or not you'll have any problems, you won't.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

Get a powertap wheel built into something that you can actually use all the time. Better yet, get a crank-based power meter. You only get the full benefits of power based training if you do it all the time, and can measure TSS, among other things.

Spend the money on a crank based system.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

true with wheelbuilder I can get a 24 spoke zipp which can't be bought else where. Thinking of the 101 though so it's a ride everywhere wheel.

LouisVuitton

by LouisVuitton

Wheelbuilder .com all the way. You get what you pay for and the guys at WB know their craft inside and out. They stand behind their service 100% and the quality of their lacing and quality control is second to none. I've bought an Enve 45 and Zipp 404 FC wheelsets from them and I'm actually getting ready to purchase a third. If you're a repeat customer, they will even give you a discount.
2010 Pinarello Dogma 60.1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Handspun = Quality Bicycle Products in house brand. Would not hesitate one bit to have them build a wheel.