Campy 11 speed shifter with 10speed Derailleur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

octav

by octav

I have a complete 10 speed Record groupset and I want to upgrade to 11s.
Is it ok to change only the chain/cassette+shifters or I have to get also the 11 speed rear derailleur?

michel2

by michel2

no im sure you need to buy a derailleur as well,the geometry is slightly different...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chris_W

by Chris_W

I've worked on a couple of bikes that have a triple crank with an 11-speed Campy cassette. They are both using 11-speed shifters plus 10-speed front and rear derailleurs because there are no 11-speed triple derailleurs. The rear shifting seems to work fine, the front shifting is pretty poor (either doesn't shift or over-shifts), mainly because the cage is too wide for the 11-speed chain.

DaveS

by DaveS

The 10 speed RD has a slightly smaller actuation ratio, but a small modification will improve the shifting. Here's one of my old postings on the subject.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/compon ... 60601.html

octav

by octav

I have the occasion to buy cheap a pair of ergo 11 speed + a cassette and chain. But don't want to buy the 11 speed RD. Probably I will stick with 10sp until I get all the group :( I really like how it shifts now and maybe it will shift badly with the "invention"

DaveS

by DaveS

I've logged thousands of miles on my 10 speed RD and it works just as well as my other bikes with 11 speed RDs. It may work even better than the early modle 11 speed, since they seemed to have a weak return spring.

One local shop owner and long time Campy mechanic says that it works fine without the mod, but my tests show that the RD comes up a little short on travel.

octav

by octav

And do you know, do I have also to change the pulleys from 10t to 11t?

DaveS

by DaveS

There's no need for 11 speed pulleys.

Ritterview

by Ritterview

Chris_W wrote:I've worked on a couple of bikes that have a triple crank with an 11-speed Campy cassette. They are both using 11-speed shifters plus 10-speed front and rear derailleurs because there are no 11-speed triple derailleurs. The rear shifting seems to work fine, the front shifting is pretty poor (either doesn't shift or over-shifts), mainly because the cage is too wide for the 11-speed chain.

This is bit OT, but whereas the Campy triple FD cage is indeed too wide for the 11-speed chain, the Campy 11-speed RD cage has enough travel for a triple, here with 53-42-30 chainrings, and a 12-29 cassette.

The FD here is a Shimano Dura-Ace triple 9 spd, FD-7703. It works, the Campy triple FD's, no. I use a Centaur 10-sp shifter on the left, and a SR 11-speed shifter on the right.

keeper

by keeper

ritterview, What is your rear hub?

Ritterview

by Ritterview

keeper wrote:ritterview, What is your rear hub?

It is a DT 240s disc brake.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com