Campag eurus V DA 7850 CL 24 V Ksyrium SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ninja101

by ninja101

I have narrowed down my choice of clinchers to these three wheelsets. Which one should I go for and why?

ticou

by ticou

I'm a heavier rider and was in my LBS and they said the Eurus was the best prior to the Shamal. Nice beefy looking spokes and seemed v.durable. Campag hubs and bearing smoothness means it's the only choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bluesea

by bluesea

I thought the Neutron was more comparable to the CL24, but...

- If I wanted a non-Campy Neutron-like factory wheel it would be the CL24.

- I would want a non-Campy factory wheel if I was worried about amped out group riders, waiting in the wings during roadside tube exchanges telegraphing their impatience, when fate would have the occasional fresh (extra) tight tires mounted.

- Hmm, not worried about my Neutrons.

Quickdraw

by Quickdraw

I have both the Campagnolo Eurus and the Ksyrium sl. I prefer the Eurus by a long shot. The Eurus seem to have a much better hub and spins more freely. Overall I would say the quality of the Eurus is much better. Also, my Eurus are the 2-way fit version. I use the Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless tires with about 30-40 ml of Cafe Latex. I have been running this setup for about two years. The ride is smooth and flats are a thing of the past. You can run a standard clincher with the 2-way fit rim, but I have not tried it. So if you are going to buy the Eurus it makes some sense to get the 2-way fit version so you can run tubeless or standard clincher. There is a slight weight penalty for the 2-way fit (18 grams) over the regular clincher version of the Eurus. There is a small, additional lip on the rim of the 2-way fit that secures the inner portion of the tire bead that probably creates the extra weight. So, between the Eurus and the Ksyrium, definitely the Eurus.

sawyer

by sawyer

bluesea wrote:I thought the Neutron was more comparable to the CL24, but...

- If I wanted a non-Campy Neutron-like factory wheel it would be the CL24.

- I would want a non-Campy factory wheel if I was worried about amped out group riders, waiting in the wings during roadside tube exchanges telegraphing their impatience, when fate would have the occasional fresh (extra) tight tires mounted.

- Hmm, not worried about my Neutrons.

Your concern is legitimate for those Campagnolo wheels that use rim tape, including Neutrons and Scirroccos. Those that don't, such as Eurus, Shamal Ultras, and Zondas, are among the easier rims to mount tyres on.

Back OT, the CL24s are the best of the three IMO- have owned them, two pairs of Ks and ridden Eurus a few times. Lightest feeling of the three, best ride quality, and probably a bit more aero vs. the other two also.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zachariah

by Zachariah

I've owned them ALL...and the Eurus smokes them by a long shot. Cannot beat that superior, Campagnolo hub smoothness and ultra-stiff, G3 spoke arrangement...especially climbing!
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!