How can I loosen the bolt?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fitty4

by fitty4

My clamp bolt inside my record 10 speed shifter is stuck, when I turn the allen key the bolt on the other side just follows. I almost didn´t get it off my handlebars, it took my about half and hour. Any ideas how to get get the clamp off?
Attachments
P2050010.JPG
P2050012.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

You could try this ,,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ah4bmy1Vo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fitty4

by fitty4

seriously....really? :roll:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

While it is in the horizontal position, use a pair of pliers to hold the square end of the t-nut still. With your other hand, really try to open up the nut. It will take a bit of effort though. Whoever installed it in the first place may not have put the proper anti-seizing lube in there and the metals have seized. It can be solved with grit and determination, but you'll need to supply that part.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

fitty4

by fitty4

prendrefeu wrote: Whoever installed it in the first place may not have put the proper anti-seizing lube in there and the metals have seized.

Guilty :oops:

I have tried with a pair of pliers without luck

craddlepig

by craddlepig

Give it a good soaking in release fluid like WD40 overnight. Get a torx or stardrive bit that is slightly bigger than the inside of the allenhead. Support the inside where the handlebar goes on a bit of pipe and tap/hammer the torx/star into the centre of the allenhead so its jammed in there and undo it.

fitty4

by fitty4

craddlepig wrote:Give it a good soaking in release fluid like WD40 overnight. Get a torx or stardrive bit that is slightly bigger than the inside of the allenhead. Support the inside where the handlebar goes on a bit of pipe and tap/hammer the torx/star into the centre of the allenhead so its jammed in there and undo it.

I will definitly try the w40 I will go and buy some tomorrow. I just checked with the torx and either it´s to small or to big and there is nothing between thos 2 sizes, I googled it.

My problem with the pliers is that I can´t hold the t-nut firmly enough, the best grip I can get is when I turn it 45 degrees, when it´s horizontal the clamp ring is in the way. I have been thinking about
sawing the ring of but I don´t have the right saw for it.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

consider remounting the shifter on a bar (an old one). then tilt the shifter up to pull on the mounting nut, keeping the t-bolt head in the clamp. then try to turn the nut. it will either unscrew or break the clamp (the clamps occasionally break), either way you'll be one step closer to getting it out.

Edster

by Edster

The bolt and clamp are probably a lost cause, so I would suggest mounting body back on an old set bars, and then drill from the allen side (front) with a drill of the same diameter or slightly larger than the bolt ( think it's a 5mm) until you have drilled through the nut to the end of the threaded part. Be very careful to stay centered on the bolt as you drill. The y will come apart at that point. Good luck!

saroadie

by saroadie

If Pliers didn't work, use vise grips. They will take care of the holding and allow you to concentrate on turning.
Do soak in WD40 or similar overnight.
Do try to apply a sharp hit with a hammer to assist jarring the seized/corroded situation a little.
If you can, ensure the driver you use is fully inserted in the screw, is not worn and is a snug fit in the screw. Sometimes a hit with a hammer can help to slightly re-tighten the inside hex.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell." Peter Brock.

Barrie

by Barrie

Grind the flat off with a bremal grinder then it will come apart , new ones are on ebay made from Ti and carbon strap

Barrie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fitty4

by fitty4

Barrie wrote:Grind the flat off with a bremal grinder then it will come apart , new ones are on ebay made from Ti and carbon strap

Barrie

Well I thought it would be easier to dremel the bolt head and about 5 min. later it came off, pliers couldn't grab it as there wasn't enough to grab on to and the bolt were so stuck as if was welded together.