The best road tacing clincher tyre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Philbar72 wrote:for raw speed the s-works tyres are very very fast. they are incredibly fragile though. the UK roads do you no favours...
I've ridden the new Graphene corsa's and Schwalbe 1's as well as Gp4000S and force attack.

force attack are superfast, Schwalbe1's are reasonably quick, the corsa's are impeccable, roll nicely, and grip beautifully, 4000s are also pretty rapid and are very aero compared to the rest.

if you run on smooth lovely tarmac get s-works. if you want quick at a low cost go schwalbe 1s.

I can't comment on the speed of Schwalbe 1s, but I'm impressed with their puncture resistance. I put a pair on my bike last July, and got my first puncture last weekend. This after riding through a very wet winter with Kent roads covered in flints, the latter normally make short work of any tyres.

Marin

by Marin

No problems with S-Works Turbo here, been running them in all conditions and on all kinds of surfaces. Don't feel fragile at all to me. Wet grip could be better though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Probably mentioned already, Veloflex Corsa. Ridden them summer and winter, racing and training, over cobbles. Light, very fast and very good puncture resistance
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

thumper88

by thumper88

Right now, it's pretty clear. There's just one clincher to buy if you race and that's the conti gp4000sII.
This is based on data, not emotion, not aesthetics... time and again they have tested as either the fastest or within 1 watt of the fastest.
Some of the newer specialized tires match or beat them by a fraction, but specialized tires have a reputation for flatting, and the contis are remarkably flat-free if you can avoid hitting sharp objects/rocks off center where they can get at that flimsy sidewall that makes them so fast.
Undoubtedly the specialized tires have that same weakness. Tires can't be fast without ultralight sidewalls. It's physics.
The other data that comes into play is aerodynamics. Some of the other tires, including the vittorias, are just too round and can make a deep wheel all but useless by detaching the flow. The contis have won in this area.
So basically for rolling resistance its s-works and conti, neck and neck, and ti haven't seen outside data yet on the s-works' aerodynamics -- which is a much larger issue than you might guess.
And as to flats and durability, the s-works stuff is a question mark and will be for awhile.
Specialized stole/bought county's engineers, so maybe they will get the various weaknesses squared away, if they haven't already. But for now, buy conti or risk throwing away the equivalent benefit of going with an aero frame, or more.

vilegnus

by vilegnus

Vote for GP4000s II
Use it since mid2013 and didn't have any reasons to switch tires.
Tried Ultremo, Pro3race, Bontrager R3, but now use Conti.
BTW, bought a pair of Specialized S-Works Turbo Cotton just for fun, but who knows...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

This is based on data

This is taken how, where ?

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

joepac

by joepac

Another vote for the Schwalbe One. It has low rolling resistance, great grip, top notch puncture/cut resistance, and good durability for race tires. I'm not sponsored by them and could get other tires for cheaper, but their performance has won me over.

I switched to Schwalbe from 4000s IIs because I kept getting flats. I have had nothing but trouble with the 4000s II, while the Ones have been extremely reliable. The sworks are tempting, but I don't think they are as puncture resistant.

nealrab

by nealrab

I've had terrible luck with Specialized...still lean towards Vittoria CX OC...durable and dependable...smooth enough for me

quaman26

by quaman26

I have always used the conti's. Never had a problem with flats unless I get goat heads.

Junior7

by Junior7

Use the continental 4 Season.

Excelent.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Junior7 wrote:Use the continental 4 Season.

Excelent.

4season as race tire? These are high puncture, heavy rain tires, ~ 7 watts slower and far from being supple http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... eason-2015
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Has anybody tried the new Michelin Power Competition tires? I think they are just becoming available.
I always liked Michelin ride over Continental but I do notice Michelin Pro4 feels slower than GP4000S so I am willing to trade a slightly rougher ride for more speed.

RickyKong

by RickyKong

My recommendation is Conti Attack&Force II clincher.

This is my favorite except tubeless tyres

Grip, weight, durability, rolling resistance, it's good at almost areas of tyre performance.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

I am a big fan of the Schwalbe one.
Even more after I experienced the Bonteager R4 lately.... 800KM and 6 flats... they are out!
Replaced them for the Ones and 700KM no flats...

Ones look good, feel fast, corner great, durable and less flats!
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

I've got 2000kms on a set of Schwalbe Ones. No flats, they are fast and corner well in the wet. I'll be swapping them soon though for a set of Corsa G+ (tan walls of course).
The corsa is a more supple tire, but I don't expect them to last as long as others out there.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk