In front of stem computer bracket?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DMF

by DMF

Hi!

I'm looking for a way to mount the computer in front of the stem, mainly to get it in a better line of sight. But ofcourse it should also be a neat looking solution.

I've found this, from several different companies (ControlTech, PZ Racing, etc etc), and also the one that is handlebar mounted from FSA with a plastic arm holding a stump of carbon.

But the trouble is, on all these three - almost every single review I can find online state that they buzz/vibrate (flimsy mounting parts) so badly that the computer becomes difficult to read, not to mention how annoying that would be. So what are my options for something that is a bit more sturdy?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Cbn-ComputerMount&Category_Code=PCHBM-01

Been using this for several years. Rock solid, no vibration, and you can easily adjust angle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zitter

by Zitter

just bought one of those goodboyr, should be able to test it out next week with my cateye v3

SL58

by SL58

Token has one that goes under the front plate of any stem or mount on top cap.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I actually use the FSA mount for my headlights. I've never noticed too much vibration. I can see a little when I look down at it, but I don't think it would prevent me from reading a computer if I chose to mount one on it.

DMF

by DMF

I kind of feel like any vibrations, however slight, is perhaps best saved for very cheap korean cars or the likes. But it certainly has no place on a top spec high-end roadbike... It's gotta be absolute precision all they way or I won't even bother with it...

The PRO seems nice though, a bit rough around the edges and not the sleekest, but it seems sturdy enough and can be cut down quite a bit.

What I would really, really like, is something like the PRO but where the arm extending out from the handlebar comes out a little lower, i.e placing the bracket/computer mount in front of the lower half of the stem plate while having the "arm" in the same angle as the stem. That way the computer can be flush with the top of the stem.

Ofcourse the PRO can manage this, but not without pointing the arm way downwards and creating a very disruptive line against the stem. I know I'm silly now, but aestethics counts for a lot in my book :)

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

I use the pro one I cut about a inch off looks good, I don't notice any vibration when I use it with my 500

Chris_W

by Chris_W

I have also experienced absolutely zero virbration problems when using the PRO mount listed above with a Garmin 500 and 800. My model is actually branded differently, using the xtreme brand name of the German online store Rose versand: http://www.roseversand.com/article/xtreme-barnizer-ca/aid:116750. It appears that they also have a new version that uses just one bolt instead of three and so is 7 grams lighter: http://www.roseversand.com/article/xtreme-barnizer-iii/aid:26940.

If you want to mount the GPS up really high, where it is much easier to read, then give this version a try: http://www.roseversand.com/article/xtreme-barnizer-ii/aid:114163; however, that one is certainly not for the weight weenies - I've only used it on our tandem and when leading group tours (when being on top of navigation at all times is very important), it is not ideal if you're just looking to put the computer n front of the stem.

beardking

by beardking

how about this one?
http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/sho ... mount.html

edit - forgot to post the link

Greenduck

by Greenduck

I've tried the FSA mount (the long version) and the Token TK510. The computer (Garmin Edge 500) was stable enough and readable but I didn't like the solutions esthetically. So my Edge 500 is back on the stem.

I think the best looking solutions for mounting a computer in front of the cockpit is when using full integrated stem/handlebars like the Shimano Stealth EVO and the belonging computer mount.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

DMF

by DMF

The Token, same as the new one-bolt Rose mentioned really strike me as cheap chinese/far-eastern crap at it's finest. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it works fine but it lools horribly cheap.

The Fly Bar is Garmin-only and I use a conventional computer.

Totally agree on the integrated (PRO Stealth) bar combo bracket. That's really nice with the hidden mount beneath the stem. The ControlTech style bracket replicates that look very well and I was thinking maybe it could be made more stable somehow... But I just keep drawing blanks on that one...

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Although pretty much Bontrager specific you may be able to adapt it to work. I have one of these on 3 of my bikes and it is rock solid. Image

DMF

by DMF

Excuse my language, but H*LL YEAH!!! Have you got any more info on that? I do have an lbs nearby that deals with Bontrager stuff, but I would need some more info so I know what to tell them so they can order me one of those. Fairly certain they don't keep them in stock.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

It is called a Bontrager Adjustable Computer Mount, part # 424838, $19.99 retail.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

seriously there is another thread like this already, but yea stay clear of those plastic mounts. they suck.