Looking at changing wheels - need some input

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I am currenlty riding Mavic Ksyrium SL's which I do like and I know that not many fans here on the forum. I am looking for a change and not sure which way to go.

1. Fulcrum Racing Zeros

or have a set built as follows.

2. Stans Notubes ZTR Alpha 340 rims
Chris King R45 hubs

Appreciate some input on what way to go I am thinking they all should be close on weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Option 1 is best for you.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Because of the superior price/performance ratio, I'd go for the Fulcrums. If money is no concern, I'd almost always pick handbuilt wheels from a reputable builder over system wheelsets.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

irf3

by irf3

I just had a set of Stans built up. They were with BHS hubs and sapim cx rays 20/24. I love them. They were cheap and ridiculously light (something like 1195 built up with veloplugs).

They are stiff enough for me (140lbs cat 3) and are a great low profile set.

konky

by konky

irf3 wrote:I just had a set of Stans built up. They were with BHS hubs and sapim cx rays 20/24. I love them. They were cheap and ridiculously light (something like 1195 built up with veloplugs).

They are stiff enough for me (140lbs cat 3) and are a great low profile set.

Yes you can always get a lighter set of handbuilts for your money than manufactured wheels because the likes of Campa, shimano and Mavic don't want the hassle of wheels that go wrong. But nor do you either. They could build lighter but durability has priority, especially as durability comes first for pro use.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

What do YOU weigh, 'cause Stans are not known as being very stiff (mind you for the weight what would you expect) but I run with a bloke who goes about 75kg and he uses a Stan/Dash/Sapim combo that comes in below 1200gr that cost less than AU$1000 as everyday wheels, but if you were 85 I would have hesitations...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Hard to give advice as we don't know enough about you (weight, etc.), the intended use of the wheels (racing, training, daily use, etc.), and your riding style (powerful sprinter, spinner, etc.).

That said, I had a set of Fulcrum Racing Lights (tubular) that were bomb-proof but weighed about 1250 grams, if I recall correctly. I also have a set of Stans 340s built on Extralite hubs (20/24 hole) w/CX-rays that weigh 1120 grams. See http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99279 I weigh 156 lbs and am not a sprinter or powerful rider, so the 340s are plenty stiff for me even out of the saddle grinding up 20% slopes. My builder (Troy Watson at Fairwheel Bikes) didn't worry about lateral stiffness; rather he worried about the spokes in the rear loosening as the rims might flex with only 24 spokes. No problems yet. If you have them built w/ 20/28 I think that would yield a strong enough wheel for most uses. Presumably the hub choice will also have an effect on this. I've read reports from other WWies about 20/28 builds that have been fine. You can get a set custom built for about $1000, or less if you use other hubs. Fulcrum Zeros are much heavier (about 1435 grams) and probably cost several $100s more.

But it all depends on your needs and riding characteristics...
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars