Little help on a wheel decision

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmr

by pmr

So a guy in my cycling club is selling a pair of his race wheels.

They're 2006 Zipp 303s. Built on American Classic hubs with C-Xray spokes.
Includes tires, glue and an ultegra cassette for $450aud.
He's the second owner of them, the first having not ridden them much if at all, and he only ever for racing.

I intend to have a look at them before I buy, but the deal sounds good. I mean, an ultegra cassette + tub tires is already around 150-200 dollars. And at $450 dollars I won't be insanely upset if they get beaten up, so it sounds like a good deal to me.

For that price with cassette/tires/glue incl. I don't think I can go wrong for ~1-1.1kg tubs, even if they are that 'old.'
For around the same price I could get some 1.3-1.4kg alloy clinchers built, but I wouldn't have a free cassette or tires.

Thoughts?

Note: I can't really afford wheels more expensive than that price. So buying 2012 new zipps just isn't part of the equation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

A couple of things to consider...How worn is the cassette? How worn are the tires? And If the tires are still good I would still pull them off and re glue them. It does seem like a pretty good chance to get some carbon hoops on a tight budget though :thumbup:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Ahhhh.....buy them. 303's are awesome.....if you don't buy them I will!!

pmr

by pmr

Cool, glad to see I wasn't wrong in my thoughts.

theremery

by theremery

1. take your time when you inspect them and look carefully around each spoke hole as it enters the rim. Even the tiniest hairline crack= walk away.
2. What is your weight? Zipp rims are not the stiffest out there. If you are a big lad who gets his wins from sprint finishes....consider other wheels as a better option. Like to finish solo or a lighter built bloke? -> 303's are a great option as an all rounder.
3. AC hubs are light and easy to service. Best you be used to servicing them because their seals are pretty much a joke. Bearings are cheap as chips, however, and the bearing swap takes 5 mins for the front hub and about 10 mins for the back hub with a bit of practice. I rate racing on nice fresh bearings (with a small amount of run-in time).
Check them carefully and go buy at that price tho.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

sawyer

by sawyer

Think that vintage is pre- Carbon Bridge rims? If so, I'd avoid. They weren't strong enough. Happy to be corrected if this is BS.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

pmr

by pmr

Sawyer: Unsure - anyone else like to chime in?
Theremery: Pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for the tips on the hubs. I weigh ~152. I should be okay with that. More of a climber/enduro but I can hold my own in a sprint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com