Saddles with cutout or channel and less than 150 grams

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

astranoc

by astranoc

Price different mainly, it's almost 3 times more expensive and style secondly, I like the Tune more. I have to get down and sand it, but how much is the question, I am afraid losing the clear coat would have a negative effect on my shorts.

leosantos

by leosantos

sworks toupe and merek mega arrived yesterday. not that it makes a lot of difference but looks like they swapped weight claims! toupe claimed: 115; actual 111. merek claimed: 110; actual: 115. the toupe actually feels even lighter on the hand, due to the huge cutoff I guess..

The rails of the merek are indeed shorter but not by much, but anyway I wont have them installed so soon since Ive been on a bad luck wave trying to get new seatposts . Have two USE aliens, not carbon rails saddle compatible; ordered another one and a 6kcycles post, both carbon rails ready, but in the meantime realized I need setback and these dont have. Got a used dorico ltd but seller didnt send one of the yokes. Try to get a used cyrano but after 6 months trying to sell it, the guy sold it this very weekend I wrote him to buy it.

What I can say for now is that the merek is 137mm wide (some claims of 150mm in teir advertisment) but is really beautiful and well finished (as is the toupe, one of the best looking components in my bikes), so Im having second thoughs of sanding it..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ccie1115

by ccie1115

For those of you have merek sq1 mega, what's the size for the rails? fit a s5 seat post?

v70cat

by v70cat

What about the concept of channels vs cut outs?
I am interest in Fizik? that say the saddle padding is better than cut outs?

Here is a quote
Topping the range is the flagship Arione 00, which uses a co-molded carbon fiber and rubber shell for selective stiffness and flex mated to fi'zi:k's wraparound Mobius braided carbon fiber rails and topped with a stealthy, one-piece black Microtex synthetic cover. Claimed weight is a paltry 135g and suggested retail price is a whopping €350.

Sitting second-tier at a somewhat more attainable €199 is the new Arione R1, which is built with a co-molded carbon fiber-and-nylon shell, a three-piece Microtex cover, and braided carbon fiber rails that attach to the shell in a more conventional fashion. Claimed weight is still-feathery 145g.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/eur ... collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

v70cat

by v70cat

Williams does look good at $129 and they have a demo program does anyone love or hate them?

http://www.williamscycling.com/Endura-SLC_p_85.html

BobSantini

by BobSantini

jordo99 wrote:I'm currently debating on buying this:

http://archteks.en.alibaba.com/product/ ... =eUn-Named" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Chinese Carbon Saddle

95g (90-100g) and 128x273mm

$62 and $10 shipped to USA.

I'd have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it but it looks to have the best cutout I've seen so far. Just a bit worried that having so much cutout (the split in the rear of it) might cause it flex too much and potentially break if I shift my weight too much to one of the back corners.

I submitted an order and I'll post back when it gets here (probably 2-3 weeks)

So how did it go Jordo?
r o y g b i v

v70cat

by v70cat

Any news?

astranoc

by astranoc

I 've done around 3000kms on the merek SQ1 MEGA and I can safely say that my butt really agrees with it. Super flexible and the cut-out in the middle seem to do it's job. I sold the Tune and I am now waiting another saddle from Smud for my other bike, but I think I will be ordering one more Merek too.

illnacord

by illnacord

v70cat: I tried the two carbon braided models from Williams with their test program. I wanted to like the saddles due to the look, the feel, the price. However, I wasn't able to fit them even with the "wider" 142mm widths, they were too narrow and I would only recommend the saddles for race day bikes as the saddles make you want to STAND up and pedal faster! The problem is the lack of stiffness and that means support when it comes to saddles. The models felt like the Shimano Pro carbon line which have similar small slit cut outs but are all too narrow even in the widest widths. I'd recommend the saddle test program to see if they work for your butt.
Single Speed Steel Bike Rider. Pro-Bike lifestyle.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^ this goes to show how a saddle is different for each person. I currently ride the Williams Aurora SLC 143mm saddle. It has taken 2yrs of going around and around with virtually every brand and multiple saddles from each to stumble upon this one.

The Williams, although made by another company in Asia for them, is the only saddle Ive had in the two years which I can tolerate for 30+ miles. Typically 60 miles on my long ride day, and still overall feel fairly good at that point. Once I broke it in some and got used to it, 2 months maybe, it is the most tolerable Ive owned. Had it for 6 months now, and feels better as time goes on for me.

Weighing about 130gms, having carbon rails and only costing $130 with free shipping makes it a bonus. About the only other sadlle that was OK for me was the Ism Adamo podium/ breakaway models, but they weigh a metric ton. But honestly, as long as it is comfortable, dont care if it weighs 300 gms....well, I do, but tradeoffs are imminent it seems for saddles with me.

Claimed 154 gms. I will throw it on the scale and post the actual soon.

lannes

by lannes

v70cat wrote:What about the concept of channels vs cut outs?
I am interest in Fizik? that say the saddle padding is better than cut outs?

Here is a quote
Topping the range is the flagship Arione 00, which uses a co-molded carbon fiber and rubber shell for selective stiffness and flex mated to fi'zi:k's wraparound Mobius braided carbon fiber rails and topped with a stealthy, one-piece black Microtex synthetic cover. Claimed weight is a paltry 135g and suggested retail price is a whopping €350.

Sitting second-tier at a somewhat more attainable €199 is the new Arione R1, which is built with a co-molded carbon fiber-and-nylon shell, a three-piece Microtex cover, and braided carbon fiber rails that attach to the shell in a more conventional fashion. Claimed weight is still-feathery 145g.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/eur ... collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strangely I find my Arione 00 more comfortable than the R1's they have replaced, the R1 has more padding but it's a softer density and I find this uncomfortable, I think the Twinflex design in the 00 give it the edge in comfort.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

The Merek QSX looks pretty nice.
Has anyone used this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110g-selle-Mere ... 3cd8cd66a5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm currently riding an Aliante and the shape looks a little closer, but it doesn't have the suspension rails which could make it a little more brutal for long miles.

astranoc

by astranoc

I have it in order, should be with me in about a week, I ll update when it's here, looks like it's going to work for me as I already love the SQ1.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

@Astronic: Which other one did you order, the QXS or the SPG?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Selle Italia Kit Carbonio flow (mine) weighs 133 g. It very comfy. SLR Tekno (not cut out) weighs 93 and its more comfy than that. It is.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.