Saddles with cutout or channel and less than 150 grams

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leosantos

by leosantos

Internalcon wrote:Anyone have any luck taking off the hideous graphics from the Merek saddle?

Im in! mine should arrive in 3 weeks and no way Im gonna leave those graphics there. got all the grits sanding paper and knife, should see which works better.
Im on a toupe for a few months and like it a lot, its not perfect, but even on 4,5 hour rides I dont feel pain on the bones, and no pressure on perenium. got both the merek and the s-works toupe to see what works best for me and settle down with a under 120 gr saddle - hope its the toupe, to justify it being 3 times more expensive, and I like the looks and the wider width better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Internalcon

by Internalcon

Im in! mine should arrive in 3 weeks and no way Im gonna leave those graphics there. got all the grits sanding paper and knife, should see which works better.
Im on a toupe for a few months and like it a lot, its not perfect, but even on 4,5 hour rides I dont feel pain on the bones, and no pressure on perenium. got both the merek and the s-works toupe to see what works best for me and settle down with a under 120 gr saddle - hope its the toupe, to justify it being 3 times more expensive, and I like the looks and the wider width better.

Please keep us updated! (document the process maybe) :beerchug:

headwind816

by headwind816

I have enjoyed my switch to a Toupe Pro minus me missing the long, flat Arione CX ... any suggestions?

In the meantime, I am experimenting with the Arione CX in that I cut out a channel in the padding that runs the entire length (essentially the red strip was peeled off and I removed 36 grams of padding ... yup, I weighed it). It is down to 174 grams now ... and may get lighter as I cut out more padding.

jordo99

by jordo99

Definitely going to be watching this thread. I'm in the market for a saddle up to about $150 but prefer to keep it closer to $100 so ebay's got most of my attention and that Merek saddle is making me drool a bit...I'm just a tad worried that after taking a long(ish) break from cycling my sit bones won't be ready to support my 160lbs without a bit of padding. Currently looking at Toupe Pro or Romin Pro (The $180 ones...not S-Works).

Any recommendations? I'm currently still running more than cycling (triathlete but will be road racing next year instead...don't hate :roll: ) but I ride about 75-100 miles a week. Next year I'll be cycling 75% of the time and probably riding 150 miles/week (closer to 200-250 if work allows it, but I don't expect to find myself with that much free time).

leosantos

by leosantos

Im ansious myself reg the merek.. though there is a cutout, it doesnt seem to be long enough nor well positioned... will see, still 3 weeks till receiving mine

jordo99

by jordo99

leosantos wrote:Im ansious myself reg the merek.. though there is a cutout, it doesnt seem to be long enough nor well positioned... will see, still 3 weeks till receiving mine

The cutout is probably the biggest part that makes me weary of buying it...I've thought of a few ways to add a little padding to the saddle without adding much weight (stuff like gluing bar tape on where my sit bones should rest) but it's not going to help anything if "my goods" get ruined in the process.

leosantos

by leosantos

jordo99 wrote:
leosantos wrote:Im ansious myself reg the merek.. though there is a cutout, it doesnt seem to be long enough nor well positioned... will see, still 3 weeks till receiving mine

The cutout is probably the biggest part that makes me weary of buying it...I've thought of a few ways to add a little padding to the saddle without adding much weight (stuff like gluing bar tape on where my sit bones should rest) but it's not going to help anything if "my goods" get ruined in the process.

jordo, there are options if you want a little padding, like the toupe itself. the carbon version, non s-works, goes for $150 on ebay usually or 180 retail. it still weighs less than 140 grams. however, though I havent experienced a carbon saddle without any padding myself, I asked a lot of people who have before getting my merek, and I didnt hear anyone complaining "ow it's too hard" or something... all u need is a good padded bib shorts - according to them - and a saddle shape that works for you.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

In theory, less padding = more flex*

*limited/enhanced by the shell's structural design itself
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

astranoc

by astranoc

I received the Mega SQ1 this morning. Slightly overweight at 114g but the finish is perfect, much better than my Tune saddle. It's also much flexier than the komm-vor+ which is flexy enough anyway. I tried it today on a 50k race and it was very comfortable but for some reason i kept sliding forward, I need to double check my position as I checked with a spirit level and it was level. Another thing I liked is that the rails are covered with some plastic sheet of some kind giving them a very grippy surface. All in all I am very happy with the purchase, especially considering the price I think it's excellent.

Edit: Ah, one downside, the rails are a bit on the short side.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Anyone actually tried the SLR Tekno Flow?

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Flow also exists, mine had 145g on package, don't know actual.

leosantos

by leosantos

astranoc wrote:I received the Mega SQ1 this morning. Slightly overweight at 114g but the finish is perfect, much better than my Tune saddle. It's also much flexier than the komm-vor+ which is flexy enough anyway. I tried it today on a 50k race and it was very comfortable but for some reason i kept sliding forward, I need to double check my position as I checked with a spirit level and it was level. Another thing I liked is that the rails are covered with some plastic sheet of some kind giving them a very grippy surface. All in all I am very happy with the purchase, especially considering the price I think it's excellent.

Edit: Ah, one downside, the rails are a bit on the short side.

short side, you mean small? damm, I'll need a setback post. abouyt slipping forward, thats the impression I got from the pics, since it seems very smooth and clear coated. and that's yet another reason Im gonna sand it!

astranoc

by astranoc

Yes small, the clamping area is 5.5cms, the tune is 9,2.
Last edited by astranoc on Fri May 18, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'd imagine this one has even shorter rails then (no cuttout, semi-channel) -

I haven't tried it yet, just spotted it last night. Definitely intrigued though, but I may wait until an order I recently placed arrives (with test ride). Constantly searching for the perfect saddle is a bit of work.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

astranoc

by astranoc

The distance between the numbers on the side looks like the SQ1, but there is so much I can compare from the pic.