carbon tubulars for paris-roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dierix

by dierix

10th of june there's the paris roubaix for "tourists". which wheels (tubulars) would you recommend?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trilocus

by trilocus

Ambrosio némesis rims, 32 or 36 spokes 3x and dura ace hubs. Veloflex roubaix tubulars

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

If don't have clearances for big rubber you're probably better off on something like the Ambrosios or any well built box rim, rather than a carbon set. Yes, most pros have switched to carbon but they were riding modified (or CX) frames and 27-32mm tyres.

dierix

by dierix

clearance for 27mm is no problem. would really like some carbon rims. seen boonen's zipps but had zipps in the past and was very unlucky with them. so prefer something different.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Well in that case isn't the default WW choice Enve?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

HED Stinger 5 might be worth looking at. I have the 6, but if they new 5s live up to their bill, they should fit.

dierix

by dierix

thank you for the link! will also have a look at those hed's

XLR8R

by XLR8R

My first choice would be the new 303 tubulars. But have a look at the new Bontrager carbon tubulars, they also feature a very wide rim design.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

If you don't want to spend a ton of $$ find some Reynolds R2 in Tubbie. I've got some mounted up for cross and they are really nice. A buddy of mine just bounced his clincher version off a curb at ~25mph after over cooking a turn. Pinch flatted the tire but the rim was fine (little out of true). If you want something stronger Go with the 32s or 46s with the DT Spokes and hubs. Super nice and very robust.

Plus, if you buy the RAP warranty and break them on your ride Reynolds will replace them for free.

Geoff

by Geoff

I still recommend a classic, hard-anodized, box-section rim (Ambrosio Nemesis or Synthesis, Mavic SSC, etc.). 32's with quality spokes are fine. Tire-wise, I like either the FMB or Dugast Paris-Roubaix silks.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Couple of quick reality checks
Half the pro's are still on Nemisis and the teams actually PAY for them (or if Mavic sponsored on Reflex) The other half are being forced to use sponsor products, that is fine because it is the game.
Pro's have - apart from a car following - around 10 - 15 predetermined points on the course where they grab a wheel - you don't, you have a sag wagon and maybe sketchy neutral support
Wheels the pros ride generally are no t the ones you can get. A local team here had Z sponsorship lots of issues and were told this directly, and it wasn't just a rebuild with a different hub and spokes, the local distributor tried that - went back to HO and it was the rim

dierix wrote: had zipps in the past and was very unlucky with them

Don't worry, it isn't you...

I love my Reynolds Carbon tubs and they have taken more than their share of hits on some fairly rough roads, I recommend them to anyone for almost any use, and no weight limits to boot... but you are stepping it up to another level and you don't want this to be the link that ruins your ride. In perspective you have a geartrain failure you can probably still ride, you have a wheel go - you can't

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Astana had Nemesis on 105 hubs and tied fat spokes, so you probably need at least Lightweights.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

How many genuine wheel failures are there in PR though? And I only mean those where the tyre was intact when the wheel broke.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kasparz

by Kasparz

This year there were reports of broken spokes, but who knows what really hapens to those who are not in top10.
One year Magnus(well, he's a big bloke) broke both his wheels(Zipp), and lot of other guys did too.