Fulcrum Racing Zero freehub bearings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

encomium

by encomium

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone knew if the bearings in the freehub body of the current Fulcrum Racing Zero (USB bearings) are ceramic. Or are only the main bearings in the hub ceramic?

Thanks in advance

Darren

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

encomium wrote:Hi

I was just wondering if anyone knew if the bearings in the freehub body of the current Fulcrum Racing Zero (USB bearings) are ceramic. Or are only the main bearings in the hub ceramic?

Thanks in advance

Darren

Only hub bearings are ceramic ones.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Which, between you and me, is really stupid. :( Especially so since the inner bearing of the freewheel hub is far from easy to remove as it has not been designed to be removable......

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Permon

by Permon

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Which, between you and me, is really stupid. :( Especially so since the inner bearing of the freewheel hub is far from easy to remove as it has not been designed to be removable......

Ciao, ;)

I do not get what you are trying to say:-( I just said that only hub bearings are ceramic. One of the reason why I think so is that upgrade ceramic kit contains only of hub bearings.
And, could anybody tell me the reason for ceramic bearings in freehub body?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The wheels' bearings, USB as the TS stated, are ceramic. The freewheel's bearings aren't.

The reason why these should also be made out of ceramic is that as soon as the freewheel is seeing some tension (a chain and rear derrie spring suffice) those bearings inside the freehub are as much a source of friction as any other bearing. Hence...

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Plus, in my experience, these are the bearings that fail first on campy wheels.

encomium

by encomium

thanks for the answers. i guess the load/drag on the freehub bearings are not as high as the main bearings as they don't bear the full weight/load and also only applicable when freewheeling so that's probably why it wasn't worth the extra cost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

encomium wrote: i guess the load/drag on the freehub bearings are not as high as the main bearings as they don't bear the full weight/load and also only applicable when freewheeling

campy freehub bearings ride directly on the axle. they are stationary when coasting, spinning when pedalling